No shim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No shim

I’ll make this fast. My uncle bought a case 155 and I’m redoing the k241 for him. Going to have it bored, crank ground, valve seats, etc but upon teardown I found something strange or lack there of.

I’m no expert but have completely re done almost 10 complete k series engines and all have had a cam shim..........except this one.

Is this a coincidence or is it just me?

Mike,, it's been along time.. I used to build 3 or 4 K series a month back in the 80's... I think I remember finding them with no shims.. I'm guessing if the end play is within spec you shouldn't need the shim.. I don't remember the spec at the moment though..

Comment

It's all about end play. Shims are to make up machining differences in the block. Any cast and machined part isn't made to a highly specific tolerance. Anyway... just set the end play to correct spec and that's all that matters. Lots of shims, no shims.... irrelevant. Cam in spec is the goal.
      ~Jonathan
      Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Thanks guys. Just didn’t know if it may have had a dual purpose as almost a thrust washer as well. Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X