Starter????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter????

My 2007 Cub Cadet LX1046 sounded bad at the end of the fall last year when starting it. Heard metal clacking while it was engaged. I assumed the starter was going out, so when I pulled it out this spring, I expected to see messed up gears of a gear that had completely broken off. But it looked brand new. The starter now spins, but it does not engage the flywheel. It does not appear to be one that raises up when engaged, but maybe I am wrong. Can I get any advice on what it might be? Battery has a fresh charge. I don't want to replace the starter only to find it was something else.

Welcome to the forum!

All gear starters have a bendix of some kind. (Gear jumps out.) Get some lube oil (WD40 will get you started, but you need oil, like engine oil in an oil can). With your fingers, pull the starter gear up. You will have to twist it while you pull it up to the flywheel. Lubricate the screw shaft the starter gear is on (bendix). Don't use too much oil if the starter is vertically mounted. Don't want to get a bunch of oil in the starter motor. Once it's lubed up and moving freely, try starting it again. Should fix your problem. This is a common issue. The bendix gear needs oiled from time to time. You can also use dry graphite lubes on it if you want. Or even a moly type grease, but dirt will stick to it and eventually it will stick again. I just use oil.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

I worked in oil but haven't been able to break it loose. Are they any good places online to pick a new starter? There are several on ebay, but hard to gauge if they are of any quality. Local Dealer here in central Illinois is asking $190 for a new one.

Comment

Working...
      X