I want to learn more about pullers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to learn more about pullers...

... and I'm hoping you guys will help fill me in.

So last year I picked up a tractor that's going to be a little more suited to cultivating than the 106. If I ever get the 149 through the shop, it will take over for the 106 on snow plow duty. That leaves my 106 with one job, pulling a Brinly plow. That job takes about 10 short passes once a year. After that, she'll sit around, and maybe pull a wagon here and there.

Can I take it to the county fair and have some fun exactly as is, or do I have to modify it? What's the bare minimum (safety stuff, hitch, front weights,)? Do i need special tires? Can i run my 6-12 ags or maybe cut an old set of turf tires? As for weight, how much will I need and where do I put it?

Is there anything I might want to do that would make it better for pulling both a brinly plow and a sled?

I still want it to be a reliable tractor that will pull a plow and a garden wagon first and foremost. If the kids get into pulling, maybe we'll build something more competitive, however the goal here is to learn, have a good time, and get her out of the barn.

Thanks in advance!!

Tractors set up for both pulling and "farming" (or working) generally don't do either very well. Or you spend a bunch of time setting it up for each job.

Some of your questions (actually a lot of them) can't be directly answered because each GT pullers association has their own set of rules. If you want to pull at local fairs, figure out who is putting them on and get a copy of their rules. That will answer a lot of your questions.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

• Cheesedawg82
      Cheesedawg82 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm hoping for a combination that farms well, and pulls just well enough to learn and have fun. If that's not doable, I won't even bother. I just sent for a copy of my county fair rules, I'll post them when i get them.

Around here we would call what you want to do pure stock.. Tractor has to be mostly stock.. stock engine , carb and air cleaner.. you are allowed a good clutch if you want. most clubs will allow 4000 rpm but you have to keep the governor. bar tires , wheelie bars and a kill switch.. the kids have a ball with these near stock tractors.. not so sure they aren't more fun than my modified open rpm puller..

Fix the wheelie bars so they remove and install easily and you should be able to use it dual purpose... but if you do very much of it you will likely want to have a dedicated pull tractor..

Check the rules and let us know.. they are all different

Comment

• Cheesedawg82
      Cheesedawg82 commented
      Editing a comment
      Pure Stock sounds like exactly what i want to do. What exactly are "bar tires," where can I get them and what do they cost?

Rules are supposedly in the mail from the county fair, although I'm thinking the fair staff is home due to coronavirus.

• jaynjeep
      jaynjeep commented
      Editing a comment
      Bar tires are another name for ag tires.. our rules specify production ag tires like Carlisle Tru Power or Firestone 23 degree lug tires.. There is even a turf tire class but nobody around here runs them.. Pure stock doesn't allow sharpening or cutting of the lugs.. but I'd wait till I saw the rules before ordering tires.. your's could be different

• Cheesedawg82
      Cheesedawg82 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a set of well worn Carlisle Tru Powers on it now, that's perfect!
Working...
X