Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first puller... I must have lost my mind!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first puller... I must have lost my mind!

Well guys... I may have done a dumb thing last week.. this thing was just so pretty... the price was right.. it's ready to pull.. and then the guy had to go and offer to bring it 250 miles closer to me to help with getting it home!!

I've never been a fan of cutting up a nice tractor and building a puller but this thing was done so clean and nice I couldn't resist.. I've been around garden tractor pulling for 20 plus years but always as a bystander or helper.. I've even helped build a few.

We had a track re open a couple years ago in a small town about 30 miles from here... i've been kinda looking for a deal to come along and hoping for something to fall in my lap.. Well this one did.. I wanted something already built because we all know how much time I don't have... other than cleaning the carb this one appears to be ready to pull.. even got a full set of weights and several boxes of extra parts thrown in the deal..

I've never made a pass but we are gonna give it a try in Sept looks like!!

She has a Command V twin with unknown cam, rods and pistons, pulling clutch, scatter shield, re geared transmission with 2 pulling gears, separate brake pedal, alum front axle, 30MM fine spline rear axles, and a whole lotta other pulling parts.. Sheet metal is uncut and unmolested.. That's one thing that I like!

Let me know what you think!! Good or bad!

This thing is so clean and well done I just had to give it a home! Guy that built it only ran it a few pulls and then got sick and unable to use it.. He sold it to some friends and their two teenage daughters pulled it for two years in and around Rocky Mount NC.. I purchased it from their dad.. heck of a nice fellow.. 100_3439.JPG100_3442.JPG100_3443.JPG100_3440.JPG

Wow, that looks nice Jay! You need to post some vids of it running. I bet that hobby can get spendy, real quick. Don't worry, you can always send that Y&W 982 a little north for some funds.

Comment

• jaynjeep
      jaynjeep commented
      Editing a comment
      I have one video of the guy's daughter pulling it in late 2017.. hasn't pulled since.. that's why the carb is a bit gummed up... I've run it around the yard but it's gotta have some help before it will pull.. Don't worry.. you are first on my list for the Yellow optioned out 982... And I have thought seriously about asking how interested you were lately! You may own it soon!

Looks really nice Jay!
    But the real question is, how's it perform?

Tractor pulling is a 60/40 sport I think. 40% machine, and 60% driver. Seen guys who had great machines get beat by guys with less, just because they were better at driving, reading the track and knowing what that machine could do. If I was ever to get into the sport, I'd have to build my own. That way I would know the tractor inside and out. Don't know if I could just buy one. I too have built some pulling machines. Tractors, trucks but not a GT. Maybe someday, who knows.

Wish you all the best, and look forward to pics, stories and even questions if you have them. Good luck buddy!

​​​​
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

• jaynjeep
      jaynjeep commented
      Editing a comment
      Jon.. I've seen it pull in one video. Pulled strong and straight.. They gave me all the weight setups and placements so that should get me close.. pull 3rd gear in 850-950 classes... pull 2nd in the 1050 class.. I know the track owner and sled owner.. he has agreed for some tips and setup lessons. Also agreed to get the sled out on an off day and let me pull it as many times as I wanted without the pressure of a crowd watching.. so maybe we will figure out enough to not get totally embarrassed!! If nothing else i'll have fun and still be able to get my money back if I'm not having fun... Or part it out and make money!

I agree with no experience it will be hard to get into the game.... but I do have a good friend willing to help.. and for what I paid it would have taken 4 times that much to build a comparable tractor.. I think i'll have fun rather I win or lose!

Way cool Jay.
    "Looks" like a nice rig. Not that I would know one way or another.
    As the others said, pics and video when you get it on the track.
    They can't all be turn key.
    Make the best of each and every day.
    Todd
    Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

I'll send pictures after I figure out how to drive it!! I can tell it's a well built little machine and all i am looking for is something to have a little fun with.. don't really care if I win or lose. I just like to hear them holller and pull!

Comment

Jay that tractor is gorgeous! One of my pet peeves is how butchered some pullers look. Your's looks like a beautifully restored red Cub with fancy wheels! I like it! While experience usually wins the competition, it sounds like you have a good support group on your side. The main thing is to go out and have some fun! Hopefully winning a pull or two will follow shortly. I wish we were closer, I'd love to come out and give you a hand showing the crowd what a sexy red Cub can do! Good luck buddy!

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel Doc View Post
          Jay that tractor is gorgeous! One of my pet peeves is how butchered some pullers look. Your's looks like a beautifully restored red Cub with fancy wheels! I like it! While experience usually wins the competition, it sounds like you have a good support group on your side. The main thing is to go out and have some fun! Hopefully winning a pull or two will follow shortly. I wish we were closer, I'd love to come out and give you a hand showing the crowd what a sexy red Cub can do! Good luck buddy!
          Thanks Stan! That's what drew me to this tractor.. it's very nicely done.. the guy that built it obviously cared and the girls that were pulling it also took care of it. The paint isn't quite as good as the pics make it out to be but I don't really care about that.. id rather it not be perfect,

I have pulled antique farm tractors before.. just never a garden tractor. I'll be ok if I don't win.. I just want to be able to load her up on a Sat afternoon and go have fun without having to turn any wrenches. I have no idea if this started life as as an IH built tractor or a CCC.. all the serial number plates are gone.. Anybody have an idea how to tell? Doesn't really matter.. just curious?

Comment

Looks great Jay! Hope to see it at the shows down here in action.

Comment

• jaynjeep
              jaynjeep commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Mike! She will be a local puller for now... not sure I will drag it that far yet!

Well I called my buddy yesterday and he agreed to pull the sled out and play today! After a good carb cleaning and a set of plugs she runs flawless.. Played around with the weights a bit and pulled a few times each in 2nd and 3rd gear.. got a video of the last pull but the guy that took it sent it to me on facebook.. so far I haven't figured out how to forward it to my computer or forward it to non facebook members..? But i'm not real tech savy!

I think i'm hooked already! when the rpms come up and you feel the rear set down and start pulling it sure is a good feeling! I'm worried now it's going to be super addictive!!

Comment

Sounds great Jay.
              Could be much worse things be addicted to. I was once addicted to something, got with the Mrs. and that little thing I was addicted to, went out the window, down the road, and over the hill, and out of site and mind.
              So, your video is on faceplant? I'll see if I can find it...
              They can't all be turn key.
              Make the best of each and every day.
              Todd
              Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

• jaynjeep
                jaynjeep commented
                Editing a comment
                the video was sent to me in a private message on Facebook.. i'll see if I can save it to my page and then maybe forward it over here?

• J-Mech
                J-Mech commented
                Editing a comment
                Should be able to share it to your page Jay, then post s link to it here. Make sure the video is public though or we won't be able to see it. If it works, should embed and play on here just like YouTube.

• jaynjeep
                jaynjeep commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Jon. I don't use Facebook much.. too much drama and crap for me.. but that's where the guy that took it sent it.. I'll try that.
            Working...
            X