Dual Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Brakes

If this isn’t the right section please move.

Just a question I’ve had for a while in regards to the super garden tractors. I see they have dual brakes on the right hand side what is the left side pedal for then- Is it simply a return to neutral, or does it also apply braking?

Also, the point of the dual brakes is so when the right tire starts slipping you apply right brake that forces left tire/axle to spin correct? Is this used for steering at all?
    Tanner
    Elk River, Minnesota

Tanner, the left pedal on an SGT with dual brakes returns the hydro to neutral, while also applying the left brake. A stupid feature in my opinion. The left pedal should apply no brakes. You can also lock the two brake pedals together, so that both apply when the left (clutch) pedal is depressed.

The function of the individual brakes, is solely for steering. When turning right, you can apply the right brake. Obviously, this slows the right wheel, while speeding up the left. This helps drag the front around without slipping. If applied hard enough, (*when properly weighted) you can turn the tractor around by dragging the front, while the braked tire stops moving altogether.

Yes, they can also be used to stop wheel spin, but that's not their purpose. Steering is. It's just a bonus, if you like.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Thanks for passing along the information. Much appreciated. Maybe one day I’ll get my hands on a super 😉
      Tanner
      Elk River, Minnesota

Comment

Yea, if you had a gnuse... excuse me, RBucket, youd love turning brakes!!

Comment

• Yettrbomb
          Yettrbomb commented
          Editing a comment
          We need more pics of the RBucket here! That thing is awesome!

Originally posted by G-Nest View Post
        Thanks for passing along the information. Much appreciated. Maybe one day I’ll get my hands on a super 😉
        Or you could add steering brakes to a GT.......
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

I find the steering brakes to be particularly useful while plowing snow. I find I can turn the tractor with a blade full of wet snow, instead of just sliding the front tires.

Comment

Working...
          X