Building the RED IH 782 with parts from a CCC1864

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building the RED IH 782 with parts from a CCC1864

Well I'll start this story in 1980 Statesboro GA. Joiner International has just finished a new large IH dealership. They were full line. Trucks, Tractors, Industrial, and Lawn and Garden. Dad and I went up on a sat morning to get a belt for mom's 1450. What did I see!!? A huge showroom full of RED Cub Cadets!! Well I was in love! I begged dad to trade the 1450... he said maybe after we wear it out we can talk about it... 40 years later we are stiil trying to wear it out!! I lusted for a pretty red shiny Cub for many years after that... Dad did buy the very tractor I sat on that day just a few years ago.. but that's his and I still wanted my own!

Two summers ago I had a vision... Take a 782 and build it like IH would have had they had a few more years to develop it! I started collecting parts for about 2 years.. then that summer I ran acccros a couple of 782's not too far off... Both tractors had altready been hacked on so I wouldn't feel too bad about some tastefull mods..

I started this project in March of 2018. so I'll try my best to catch everybody up to speed on what I've done so far..

My overall plans: A really nice Red IH built Cub Cadet that I can mow and plow with.. non standard options to be added.. Full Power Steering from a 2082, CV driveline from an 1864, 20hp V twin Command, Super steer axle from and 1862 with short spindles and no forward sweep (should keep it looking like a real 782) Factory IH three point adapted to the slightly smaller Roper/Sears 3 point equipment.(Cause dad has just about all of the Sears attachments) Front and rear hydraulic outlets. So far it's been a blast! I have more progress and pictures but this is enough for now.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 8 photos.

(more)
    Brice

Comment

So if the new axle has short spindles and isn't swept back.... is it still a super steer axle? I thought all the axles deemed SS were swept forward?
      ~Jonathan
      Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

• jaynjeep
        jaynjeep commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah Jon I was told that all the cyclops axles are considered super steer.. they raised the spindle height and swept the axle forward for the deeper and wider GT series decks in 92 or 93.. I was leery at first but I have driven the tractor and it turns very tight.. tires will go almost sideways.. seems to be the same as the later swept forward axles with the taller spindles.. I'm thinking it may turn even tighter overall because of the shorter wheelbase. I am a litte worried about the tires rubbing the deck though.. plan to run a 50C on it.. they almost touch the ram on the P/S cyl as it is... so they really couldn't turn any tighter

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post
      So if the new axle has short spindles and isn't swept back.... is it still a super steer axle? I thought all the axles deemed SS were swept forward?
      I think it still has a tighter turning radius. I had swapped one into one of my 782s a few years back, and then last spring, deciding I wanted both my 782s to look identical (aside from color/options) I swapped the OEM back in. Seat of the pants feel was that the OEM didn't turn nearly as short (It seemed quite obvious). Sometime I'm going to need to figure out the actual difference.
      Brian - Spring Grove, IL
      IH 782 w/50c; Dad's 1650 (needs restored)
      CCC 782 dual stick w/44c; 1050 w/38c; 1861 w/54GT
      Parts 782, 1811, 1710, 1200
      Numerous IH, Brinly, Agri-Fab attachments

Comment

• J-Mech
        J-Mech commented
        Editing a comment
        Let us know if you do! I'm interested to know. I have at least one of those axles, along with one from a 1864 sitting around. Incidentally..... I can't recall where I put the one for the 1864.....hmmmmmm.

Thanks for starting the build thread Jay.
      That's cool you're going to build a "what if" tractor out of it. I've got a lot of those ideas, but most don't get any further than doodles on a piece of paper.
      They can't all be turn key.
      Make the best of each and every day.
      Todd
      Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

I'll try to add some more pictures every night until I get this project caught up to current.. I know alot of you have seen all this so just bear with me!

Next in line was installing the 1862 axle and mounting/modifying the cyclops power steering to fit the 782 frame. I extended the steering column about an inch over stock height because I always feel like I am bending over on a stock 782.. Any questions just ask.. I am kinda giving the condensed version here.. The full version is back over on the other sight
        Attached Files

Comment

Can you explain to a welding newbie how you extend something like a steering column that needs to be perfectly straight? Do you just clamp to some straight stock and tack it?
          Brice

Comment

Originally posted by cycub View Post
            Can you explain to a welding newbie how you extend something like a steering column that needs to be perfectly straight? Do you just clamp to some straight stock and tack it?
            Brice, On the steering shaft I cut the old shaft off of the Ross box.. then I purchased a coupler with a DD hole on one end to mate to the P/S gear.. if you look at the pictures you can see the set screws in it.. the top side of the coupler was round and the same size as the old Ross shaft.. I slipped the shaft in the coupler and welded it. I did tack it first and stuck it in the lathe to make sure it was true... on the tube part I used some old exhaust tubing and swelled one end so it would go over the P/S box.. the other end slipped over the old Ross outer tube... I tack welded both ends... then put it in the tractor and made sure it didn't bind when turning.. I did use a piece of angle iron to help me hold it all straight.. I clamped and finished welding up the tube while it was in the tractor.. It all sounds kind of hokey but it worked better than I expected.. It doesn't wobble and it turns nice and free.. It just took alot of time and thinking to make it all work out.. After getting it all worked out a friend told me you can buy the JD 5 port steering columns that are the right length and have the same hookups for about $150.. if I had it to do again I would probably try that way.. The full length Cub P/S columns are hard to find and expensive.. the short Cyclops column/box like I used is cheap and easy to find..

Comment

A few more pictures for the evening.. Plumbing the steering box turned out to be challenging but fun.. Got alot of practice with a flaring tool and tubing bender... it takes time and patience but was very rewarding in the end! After it was all done I used a Milwaukee drill to power up the pump and check for leaks and function.. to my surprise it all worked awesome and no leaks!!
              This gallery has 7 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by zippy1 View Post
                Thanks for starting the build thread Jay.
                That's cool you're going to build a "what if" tractor out of it. I've got a lot of those ideas, but most don't get any further than doodles on a piece of paper.
                Sure thing Todd... I need to take more time to post more.. I'm still learning this site so it takes me more time than it should!! I thought about this project for a long time... when the two 782's came available I knew I had to do it! May take me several more years but the fun for me is doing it... so the longer it takes the more fun I have.... right?

Sam told me I shoulda bought an 1864... and he is right... less time and money in the long run... but I wanted a RED tractor with a metal hood!! So I'm gonna be stupid and take more time and more money in the long run... But in the end I should have my RED tractor that I have waited on 39 years.. basically an 1864 in the shell of a 782....

Comment

Well, I think you are doing it "your way", and you can't be faulted for that. It's your dream, make it as big, and complicated as you want.
                  I tend to do things thata way myself sometimes.
                  They can't all be turn key.
                  Make the best of each and every day.
                  Todd
                  Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

• jaynjeep
                    jaynjeep commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the comments Todd... Helps keep me motivated!!

What Todd said!
                  I'll just keep watching as you catch us up. Doing it your way is fine by me. Not the way I would do it, but it's not wrong. Keep going Jay!
                  ~Jonathan
                  Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

• jaynjeep
                    jaynjeep commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Jon! I am certainly open for suggestions.. if you see anything you think I could improve on please let me know! My goal is to wind up with all the best parts combined into one tractor..

I agree. Your project, your way. Nothing wrong with that. It looks like you're going to have a very nice tractor when complete. Keep us posted.

Comment

• jaynjeep
                    jaynjeep commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Stan! Comments and suggestions from guys like y'all mean alot to me... anything you see that is totally stupid let me know! I'm open for suggestions!

My nightly post... made some adjustable axle snubbers to help cut down on front axle pin wear... I figured the P/S would add some stress to the front axle pin and cradle.. These came with the add on P/S kits for the 982 and seemed to be on all the Cyclops tractors.. I feel like if CCC thought it was necessary then I would add them while I could do it easily..
                  This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

A few more pictures of the engine and CV style driveshaft install.. my first go round with the 1864 engine plate didn't go well.. it was supposed to fit but the engine was about 1" to far forward for the sheet metal to fit and the driveshaft was barely engaged in the engine.. I wound up just re drilling the KT 17 mounting plate to make it all work..

Based on the Cub Cadet logo on the oil filter it hasn't been serviced recently!!

The rear pump adapter is from Parts by Jeff and fit flawlessly.. I also used one of his fan supports on the front of the fan and then later added two fan supports behind the fan for oil filter clearance... all of that worked out well..
                    This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Working...
                    X