Wiring Harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring Harness

I need a harness for my 123, it has been cranking extremely slow since I got it(came with the car battery mod) My gut tells me it has to do with the compression release as it seems to hang up as it hits the compression stroke. But the wiring is a mess so this needs to be addressed regardless. Where do you guys get yours? There was a name of a member on occ, did he come over yet? Cannot recall his name.

Here’s a pic just because I like seeing it, and you should too 😂

Thanks.

Attached Files
    Tanner
    Elk River, Minnesota

His name is Mike and his email is [email protected]
    Tim - It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
    Indiana, PA
    Check out my Youtube channel -

https://www.youtube.com/user/xOLDS45512x

Comment

Thank you sir
      Tanner
      Elk River, Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by G-Nest View Post
        Thank you sir
        No problem.
        Indiana, PA

Comment

I have gotten 3 narrow frame harnesses from him and they are all fantastic.
          Lance

Cub Cadet, 73, 104, 106, 107, 125, 126, 127, 147 (2), 169, 1050, 1282, 1864

Comment

Tanner,
            For sure replace the harness.
            For sure, get it from Mike.

But if it's hitting compression and trying to stop, then there are a few things I suggest.
            1.) Check and adjust the ignition timing.
            2.) Check and adjust the valves
            3.) Check condition of the S/G.

If you need help on ignition timing, I have an article here that will walk you through it.
            While you are adjusting the valves, you can check to see if the compression release is working.
            The S/G may just be getting weak too....
            ~Jonathan
            Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Thanks Jon, I’ll check those things hopefully this week and report back.
              Tanner
              Elk River, Minnesota

Comment

Alright I got some garage time in tonight for some open hood surgery.
                3879E6DF-2783-4698-861A-F707A3B42766.jpeg
                Its been a rough week, we have 4 kids, and 4 of them have fevers Kids are sleeping and wife passed out on the couch so I got to sneak out to the garage with the mistress (brandy). I set the timing statically- thanks Jon for the write up, its very easy to follow. My timing was dead on, no need to adjust. I then jumped the starter directly to eliminate any wiring/ground issue, no change in the cranking speed. I decided to drag the 125 into the garage and swap over S/G to see if there is any improvement.

attempting to imbed videos... bear with me.

This is the existing situation

Here is the s/g swapped over from the 125

Obviously a huge improvement!!

Are these s/g easy enough to rebuild or am I better off just finding a used one?
                AEE5850E-CA88-4679-A431-65957484808F.jpeg479957B6-9CBB-4946-91D4-D66FF48C8A35.jpeg
                Attached Files
                Tanner
                Elk River, Minnesota

Comment

I'd say the issue is the s/g for sure. Seem's to roll over nice in the second video.
                  Indiana, PA

Comment

I would take it to an electrical motor repair shop. They have the right tools for checking out the whole thing. Usally pretty inexpensive. Plus you get a warranty
                    Cory.

One piece at a time...

Comment

I agree with Cory, Tanner. See if you have a shop near you that rebuilds starters and alternators. There are 2 or 3 within 45 miles of me. Can one do it themselves..... not effectively. You can clean up the commutator with emry and put new brushes in.... change bearings. But the armature needs run on a growler to look for shorts, and the field coils tested. Commutator needs turned on a lathe and the formica cut out from between them. Even I send mine in to get rebuilt. If you don't have anywhere local, let me know. I can get you the name of the shop I use.
                      ~Jonathan
                      Oblong, Illinois

Comment

My starter generator guy closed his shop and retired last week @ 82 years old.. he couldn't find anybody that wanted to learn the business.. throw away and parts store rebuilds had made it hard on him for the last 15 years.. He had done cub SG's for me my whole life.. guess I gotta find somebody else!

Comment

That's frustrating Jay!!

I had two local retired welder/machinists that worked from a home shop that I used to have do tons of stuff for me. They were VERY good. Both died with a couple years of each other. It was kind of sad really.
                          ~Jonathan
                          Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Unfortunately that is happening all over, the old shops are closing and no one does the work anymore. I still have one good source nearby, but he is not the best in delivering a repair on time. Quality work but it takes him a couple of weeks to get it done. I need to find a growler and do the rebuilding myself. I have the lathe and the cutback tooling for the commutator.

Comment

Doc, I too have been considering getting a growler. Looked at them on ebay several times. Stupid me, passed up a Commutator lathe with the cutback tool at a flea market a year ago. Like $40 or something. Didn't buy it because, at the time, it would have just got put on a shelf for use "someday". For the price, I wish I had....
                              ~Jonathan
                              Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Working...
                              X