123 clean up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

123 clean up

Hi all, I picked up this cub last summer and finally have some funds set aside to give it some love. I figured I’d start a thread so I can get all my questions answered in one place 😂. The point is to get a better looking/non leaking tractor that will be used, this isdefinatly not a full restoration. Quality and speed will be much lower than others on the forum so bear with me. This is my first go at tearing one down so please chime in if you have any suggestions/tips/comments.
    My plans at this point is:
    -New fluids
    -Re-seal rear end
    -Rebuild carb
    -New sediment bowl
    -New wiring harness
    -Add rear lift
    -Tires (two
    -lube and tighten stuff along the way
    -paint
    -decals

Here are the pics from when I picked it up.

6ADB6070-87F0-411C-A5CC-A8F2F03C28B8.jpegimage_1570.jpgimage_1575.jpg
    Attached Files
    Tanner
    Elk River, Minnesota

Doesn't look too bad Tanner. Replacement engine, lots of attachments, wheel weights, lights! I'm ready to see you tear into it!!
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Looks like a fun project! Can’t wait to see the results.
      Lance

Cub Cadet, 73, 104, 106, 107, 125, 126, 127, 147 (2), 169, 1050, 1282, 1864

Comment

Nice find! Should be a great project so keep us posted!

Comment

Looks like it's got good bones.
          I'd suggest Mike LaMar from Clinton, Ohio 44216
          [email protected] for your wiring harness. He builds excellent ones.
          I'd suggest https://www.maplehunterdecalsindiana.com/ for your decals when the time is right.
          You've got a good list of repairs started. Sounds about right. You may find a few other things along the way.
          Please keep posting the progress.
          They can't all be turn key.
          Make the best of each and every day.
          Todd
          Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Awesome project! Looks like it came with alot of nice stuff too!! Please keep us posted! Just take it one step at a time and you will get there!! I've always wanted a nice 123.. i've got one but it needs alot of love.. not nearly as complete and nice as yours! We are all waiting!!

Comment

Thanks all for the encouragement.

Thanks Todd I ordered decals and wiring from the sources listed

I got the 123 dug out of 2 feet of snow, winched it into the shop and let it thaw for a couple of days and got out there this morning to spend some time with it.

As promised here is a list of questions thus far:

1- is the bolt attached to the snowblower lift bracket a factory thing, if so what is the purpose?

2-How do I patch drill holes in the hood, I’ve seen people talk about using Brass as a backing then welding is that what I do here?

3-What’s the deal with the green tank, the reason I ask is I figured the tank was off something else but I happened to see another cub with the same color tank, was this a replacement with the engine?

4-Key location is suppose to be in the column not the on the dash correct?

Paint:

5-The cub will end up with a rattle can paint job. Diesel Doc uses the valspar cans which look great, is this color close enough for the older cubs?

Primer:

6-What is the red primer I see in threads under paint chips? I have several cans of filler primer, can I use this or should I be using some sort of rust converter.

Here are some pictures to keep your attention 😉
              57C107F0-F46A-408F-B7F1-EA87761BB485.jpeg

FEE7A4CA-83A7-49C7-BBCC-0313C65B4D16.jpeg60CC3B8D-0F8E-4779-A59F-00958E6A9954.jpegB5BC7B84-0C24-40C1-A20C-C330B6C1F7E3.jpeg86E4165D-8866-48A6-B368-56A98880D105.jpegD30C5C6D-B868-4E4B-B721-9AAC745DD86A.jpeg260A458C-EDF2-4BD6-8800-4A68B4921ACA.jpeg
              Attached Files
              Tanner
              Elk River, Minnesota

Comment

That bolt thang looks like someone added it to help raise the blower with their foot. I don't know, but it don't belong...
                You'll need to drill holes in the ends of those cracks to stop them, then weld everything back up. Easy enough fix. BTDT.
                Yeah, you can use just about any primer. Seeing your going rattle can, Rustoleum will work just fine.
                Yes, the ignition switch key should be on/in the dash tower, not on the top of the dash.
                123Cub20_zps6d98dbc4.jpg
                As for holes that need filling. Yeah, I just weld them shut. Tack around the holes, to not get the metal to hot, until you have them filled.
                That Valspar yellow Stan uses, and me on this 1811 won't be an exact match to the older cub yellow. But I would guess, it'll be a little darker. See, I'm color blind, but the shade won't be the same. The old yeller, is a more lighter yellow. Make sense?
                IMG_2965.JPG
                Todd

Comment

Originally posted by G-Nest View Post
                  As promised here is a list of questions thus far:

1- is the bolt attached to the snowblower lift bracket a factory thing, if so what is the purpose?

2-How do I patch drill holes in the hood, I’ve seen people talk about using Brass as a backing then welding is that what I do here?

3-What’s the deal with the green tank, the reason I ask is I figured the tank was off something else but I happened to see another cub with the same color tank, was this a replacement with the engine?

4-Key location is suppose to be in the column not the on the dash correct?

Paint:

5-The cub will end up with a rattle can paint job. Diesel Doc uses the valspar cans which look great, is this color close enough for the older cubs?

Primer:

6-What is the red primer I see in threads under paint chips? I have several cans of filler primer, can I use this or should I be using some sort of rust converter.

1.) No. Zippy nailed it. Probably to use your foot to help lift.

2.) That is one way to fill them yes. Depending how big the holes are, may be just as easy to find another hood.

3.) No idea. That is a replacement engine it appears, but no idea why the tank is green.

4.) Todd's pic shows the proper location.

5.) Can't help you there.

6.) No idea. Red primer was commonly used by IH.... when they used primer, but I don't think the CC's had primer on them. Maybe some of the parts did. Could be from a previous paint job too. DO NOT USE RUST CONVERTER. Once it does it's job it's hard as a rock and can't be sanded. It's great for the under side of a mower deck, but not for the side of a tractor. Chip, sand blast, electrolysis... use whatever to get the rust off, but don't use rust converter. Bare metal primer should be fine after that. Self etch is best, and Rustoleum does have a rusty metal primer that is really thick if need be.... but you need to try and get any and all rust off before painting or it will come back in short order.
                  ~Jonathan
                  Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

You are correct that I use the Valspar paint in aerosol cans. The color of yellow originally on your 123 would be more "lemon" yellow or brighter than the Valspar paint, which is meant to match the paint used on the later 82 series and the Cyclops tractors.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

I’ve been looking into paint the last day or so- maybe I should just use the gun and not have any questions as to what to use. I called around a bit today there is a dealer an hour from me who sells it by the quart but doesn’t have gallons.

I called napa with Martin Senour paint codes as well as the PPG paint codes but nothing was coming back in their machines. They searched “cub cadet” and had a couple come back but who knows what I’m getting into at that point.

Ill keep calling around.
                      Tanner
                      Elk River, Minnesota

Comment

Take something that doesn't get any fading into the paint place near you, and have them scan it for a match. When I did my 2372, I used the seat pan. They scanned the underside, and it matched a Chrysler car from the late 50's.
                        Todd

Comment

Haven’t had much shop time lately, as the weather is warming up and syrup season under way I’ve been having more fun outside. But here is an update.

Fixed the crack in the frame.

Bought a sand blaster and overworked my little air compressor once I kill it I’ll have more leverage to buy a new one 😂

I only cleaned up a couple pieces the tin isn’t all that straight but I’m not trying to get a show tractor just trying to freshen it up a bit so it got primed and painted as is.

Primer is rustoleum white primer, came in a gallon thinned with acetone and it came out pretty good. Paint is from tractor supply, a lot of people were very down on the rattle cans but the paint I got in the gallon seemed fine with reducer and Hardner. I got a couple of areas where I must not have been heavy enough with the paint because it seems a lot dryer/bumpy but I’ll try to fix that on my next batch of items to be painted.

here are some pics.

Attached Files
                          Tanner
                          Elk River, Minnesota

Comment

How do I upload the photos so one can just page through them? It seems when others upload they upload like an album where mine are are individual?
                            Tanner
                            Elk River, Minnesota

Comment

Looking good Tanner, nice work. For future reference for anyone that wants it, the federal yellow that martin senour offers (Napa) is their part number 3857. Kid I know in south Florida just bought a quart, $160. :O

Can you give some stats on how you mixed the manic? I’ve used 4:1:1 with decent results considering the paint

Comment

Working...
                              X