Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydro Fan

Hey all,
    I did some searching here before deciding to write this post.
    I need to replace my hydro fan on my 123. I know there are a few types of replacements, I've heard of some that are softer than others in case something touches them. I've also heard that there are more than one way to do the replacement. I'd like the easiest/best procedure for this, if that combination exists. I'm a newbie to this so step-by-step wouldn't hurt my feeling at all. My garage is fairly limited for work like this, but I do have a set of automotive ramps that I thought I would make use of. Also any tips so that I don't break or damage anything would be great. Thanks!

Hi Joe!

As far as I know there is only one replacement fan for the 123 from CCC, and it is going to be a plastic fan. The original one would have been steel. You may be able to yet find a steel fan from vendors such as ihccw. I wouldn't worry too much about damage to the fan because a 123 has a shroud that goes around it. Unless you really get something in there, like a stick, it's pretty protected.

I strongly suggest checking the driveshaft over along with all the other components while you have it out to replace the fan. That is an old unit and the driveshaft is likely worn, along with the pins, couplers and rag joints. The driveshaft and any of the "hard" parts can be purchased from our member JeffinPA. To contact him, just click the link in the red navigation bar above, "Parts by Jeff". The fan, rag joints and pins can be obtained from CCC. Be sure to use the solid pins for the 123 and not the spirol pins used by later models.

To get the driveshaft out on that tractor, the best way is going to be to remove the rear end. It's just too difficult to repair a NF tractor by removing the engine. There is no access to the pins other than from the bottom, and that is no fun. Download the service manual, and it will walk you through removal of the rear end. You can get the manual here: 1X2/3 Service manual.

Good luck, and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

I just used the 123 to back my boat into the garage up a slight grade. Half throttle, no problem. Even had three adults on the trailer tongue to maintain traction. Had to be a over 3,000 pounds.

Comment

just a thought, but I don't feel too comfortable with any kind of fan spinning that close to where I store the family jewelry if you're mopping up what I'm spilling. I'd go plastic, if it broke it would be much less likely to exit the tunnel and still be able to get to the boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesedawg82 View Post
          just a thought, but I don't feel too comfortable with any kind of fan spinning that close to where I store the family jewelry if you're mopping up what I'm spilling. I'd go plastic, if it broke it would be much less likely to exit the tunnel and still be able to get to the boys.
          The hydro fan on a narrow frame has a shroud around it. Also, the metal fans weren't heavy enough to go through the tunnel cover. Tunnel cover on a NF is welded to the frame, and pretty heavy. No need to be worried about losing "jewels" with a metal fan.
          ~Jonathan
          Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post

The hydro fan on a narrow frame has a shroud around it. Also, the metal fans weren't heavy enough to go through the tunnel cover. Tunnel cover on a NF is welded to the frame, and pretty heavy. No need to be worried about losing "jewels" with a metal fan.
            Still feel safer with plastic

Comment

You worry too much. The driveshaft is more dangerous than the fan ever would be.
              ~Jonathan
              Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post
                You worry too much. The driveshaft is more dangerous than the fan ever would be.
                Maybe I do, but I just can't help but worry about the potential for disaster when straddling a metal fan. I'm rather fond of the family jewelry.

Comment

Working...
                X