Exhaust stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust stack

Getting ready to pull the 149 in and give her a bit of a going over before the spring till and I'm thinking she could use a nice quiet exhaust stack. Something that will keep the sound over my head, turn heads, and still keep the neighborhood happy. In the process, I noticed that there's no thread in here about exhaust stacks, so let's see them and hear your comments, tips, and suggestions! Words of wisdom? Pros and cons? Pics are awesome, videos are even better.

I "used" to think a stack was cool. But after using one for a short time, ah, no so cool.
    Between the noise, and constantly having to watch for low hanging branches, the original muffle is the way to go.
    For strictly a parade machine, whatever strokes your ????? I'll see if I can dig up some pictures. But just from my personal experience, go with OEM style muffler...
    They can't all be turn key.
    Make the best of each and every day.
    Todd
    Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

OEM muffler.
      Stack puts too much stress on the block. I do not recommend.
      ~Jonathan
      Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post
        OEM muffler.
        Stack puts too much stress on the block. I do not recommend.
        I completely agree. The original design was "up close" and supported. Stack will put a LOT of stress on the threads at the exhaust.

Comment

I totally get the block stress, and I wouldn't even think of a stack without some sort of brace. I don't have any low hanging branches to worry about, either. I'd honestly like my 149 to be quieter than OEM, and the whole point of having the stack a few inches higher than my ears was to keep the noise up above me. I guess the higher the stack, the more weight, and the more weight, the more stress, so that's no good all the way around. I wonder how well it would work if I put a longer, lightweight tailpipe on the end of the OEM exhaust to get it up over my head.

Comment

Do you have a Nelson (OEM) muffler? Aftermarket mufflers are much louder than the more expensive ones are. Maybe you just need a new muffler? I never thought the 149's were loud at all unless the muffler was cheapie, or bad.

Ear plugs are cheap....
            ~Jonathan
            Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

I have OEM Nelson mufflers on both my 149 and 106. Neither are incredibly loud, but neither are quiet enough to plow snow in my residential neighborhood at 4AM. My family, who might also be working inthe garden while someone's running the tractor, would benefit from an exhaust that doesn't echo at the precise level of the ear of a person bent over to plant something, pick something, or pull a weed.

I may also be working closely in conjunction with a community garden effort this year as well if we get access to a community property, and a lot of the focus will be on education. There could very well be situations where someone is lecturing while the tractor is running in the background, once again the quieter the better, and even more acoustical benefit if the exhaust pipe is aimed up and over the heads of a seated audience.

On top of that, I'm not gonna lie, I totally want a little flapper cap.

Really, though, would it be too much weight to come off of the end of the factory nelson muffler with a piece of EMT conduit bent to point straight up, and mated to a slightly larger pipe in such a way that it mutes the sound just a little more on it's way out? A lightweight resonator stack added behind the muffler (similar to the pipes my Honda Shadow VT500C) should be able to quiet the engine further without robbing any power.

You're absolutely right, these Cubs are not crazy loud by 1960's and 70's high end tractor standards at all, and they're quieter than some of the machines out there today. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I'd be loving life if the old girl whispered like the more modern Honda GX series.

Or, maybe I should just stop thinking of making all these mods to get my 149 to do what I want it to do and go buy a clapped out spread frame CC with 2 sticks and turning brakes and swap a GX690 on it.

For the other than CC crowd out there, is the weight as big a problem on an HH-100? Getting the pepper box off of my MF-10 is also high on the to do list before the official kickoff of the 2020 garden season. If I only do one exhaust, that's the one.

Comment

ccstack.jpg I stole this off the internet. Caption says he put a stack on the OE muffler. Looks like it'll work, and you could totally add a baffle without adding much weight.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

If you truly want it quiet, put a muffler and belly pipe on it and get the noise out BEHIND you. Ask anyone who runs a Ford 8N or 600 series.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel Doc View Post
                    If you truly want it quiet, put a muffler and belly pipe on it and get the noise out BEHIND you. Ask anyone who runs a Ford 8N or 600 series.
                    I mostly run a tiller on the 149, wonder how that would work with the belt. That might just be the way to go.

Comment

Working...
                    X