1250 Engine cradle question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1250 Engine cradle question.

Using the downtime of late I've been dealing with some long standing issues on my 1250. The prior owner of it had the bolts loosen up in the oil pan. They were drilled and tapped oversize, then over time loosed up again. When I removed the engine the oil pan was cracked and the one cradle rail was really torn up from the engine shaking on it for years. I found a set of model 1000 rails on ebay that looked servicible. I looked up the part numbers on the Cadet website, and they all superceded to one new number.

Upon getting the 1000 rails, I compared them to my 1250 rails, and there are some subtle differences. The bolt patterns look to be the same, but the stampings of the rails appear to be different. Question is, they still are compatible correct? From what research I did on the Cub Catet parts lookup they had part numbers that superceded to a new number that serviced most all ISO mount tractors. I don't think I'll have to modify the 1000 rails to fit the 1250, but would hate to find out the hard way when I go to fit the engine!

Thanks for the input!

They will fit. But you need to do the cradle "mod" that was put out in a service bullitin by IH. Basically you weld a flat strap towards the front and tie the two sides together. This is best done by bolting the rails to a pan, then welding the strap on. If you need more info, I'll dig around and see if I can find pictures. But it will be later before I can. Maybe another member will chime in and have pictures, or a copy of the service bullitin.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Here’s the one I did on my 1450: DC8EEA0C-AB46-4C0A-B4CF-CAD01D1E1580.jpeg
      -Nick
      125, 126, 147, 129 x 3, 149, 1450, 1320
      3 42” Blades, 3 42” Triangle Decks, 2 44A Decks, 38” LT Deck, 42” Stone Rake, #4 Cart

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post
        They will fit. But you need to do the cradle "mod" that was put out in a service bullitin by IH. Basically you weld a flat strap towards the front and tie the two sides together. This is best done by bolting the rails to a pan, then welding the strap on. If you need more info, I'll dig around and see if I can find pictures. But it will be later before I can. Maybe another member will chime in and have pictures, or a copy of the service bullitin.
        Ok. Excellent, thank you for the input guys! I've got a replacement pan on the way. I can definitely weld in an added brace. Does anybody have a link or a way I can access the factory bulletin by any chance? I agree, it's probably best to use the pan to mock everything up, then go from there.

THANK YOU!!!!

Comment

I will look and see if we have a digital copy of the service bullitin.
          ~Jonathan
          Oblong, Illinois

Comment

We do not have a copy. But, this may help:

http://cubfaq.com/isomount.html
            ~Jonathan
            Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Excellent! Thank You so much! That's great information!

One other question. I have the tractor sitting in a shed with the engine removed. I was going to move it into the shop to take advantage of the concrete floor and hoist to reinstall the engine. My old 125 and 129 had a lever to disengage the drive to tow it. I can't find one on this 1250. Question is can I safely move it with my loader tractor? I've got to go about four or five hundred yards. Obviously I can do it really slowly with the tractor. Will I risk damaging anything in the transmission? Is there a release lever that I'm simply not aware of?

Comment

The Quieteline series of tractors was the first of the Cub Cadets that could have came with automatic release valves. Remove the tunnel cover and on top of the hydrostat unit there will be two large hexagon "caps". If there is a button in the center of them, you have manual release valves, and the disconnect lever to release them is missing. If there are no buttons, you have the automatic type.

Now as far as towing the tractor that far.... that is a pretty long way to tow a hydro transmission with no real neutral. They are not really meant to be towed quite that far. However, typically if you tow them slowly it won't damage them. A guy on another forum used to say, "Don't tow them farther or faster than a toddler can walk". It's actually a very good rule of thumb. I wouldn't tow mine 4 or 500 yards. 100 yards is about the limit I would tow one before loading it.
                ~Jonathan
                Oblong, Illinois

Comment

You mentioned a "loader tractor", best bet would be to pick up the drive wheels, strap it in the bucket, and tow away.
                  They can't all be turn key.
                  Make the best of each and every day.
                  Todd
                  Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Originally posted by zippy1 View Post
                    You mentioned a "loader tractor", best bet would be to pick up the drive wheels, strap it in the bucket, and tow away.
                    Yup, I pulled it out of the shed and loaded the whole tractor in the bucket. Worked like a charm!

Comment

Working...
                    X