1250 Hydrostatic transmission leak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1250 Hydrostatic transmission leak.

Having the time to address some of the long standing issues I've had on my trusty 1250. I've got the engine cradle reinforced and all back together with a replacement pan and new mounts. I lifted the whole tractor minus engine, and replaced the O ring on the brake plunger.

Thank you guys for the knowledge! It was a lifesaver!

I still have a small oil leak from the hydrostatic unit. I pulled the top cover, and pressure washed everything. The tractor has two large valves in the top of the charging pump, the factory service manual calls them pressure valves, and states they aren't rebuildable or serviceable. The manual states they are interchangeable. They both have a tiny weep hole in the top of them. When I'm driving the tractor oil very slowly weeps out of one of them. The tractor operates normally, without any issues that I can find. Can I repair that? Do I need a new valve? If so can I find a used one online? They appear to be pretty pricey.

Thank You for the input!!!

Yes, those are what most call the "relief valves". They are actually check valves. There is no relief valve within a Sundstrand hydro unit, except for the ones on the charge pump circuit.

Unless you are a machinist, you cannot rebuilt them. They are made as a unit. Yes, they can be rebuilt and you are in luck because we already know the best place to get them! I am glad you brought this up because I guess I did not include this company in our Technical and Parts Resources; Parts Sources section. They now are.

Anyway, Machtech is the place you want to get the valves from. Highly recommended, and much more affordable than new. He can rebuild both valves for less than the price of one new one. Check them out!

http://www.machtechdirect.com/rebuil...ef-valves.html

Hope this helps!

~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Thank You! I called the gentleman who runs that service and spoke with him. Very informative indeed. I'll be sending my check valve out ASAP. Thanks again!

Comment

I got one that is spewing like a fountain, auto style, also a 1250. Brought home a friend's tractor to fix an engine running issue and was using it to mow my yard when the volcano blew...... Might have to scrounge a manual valve for now to stick in it
        Don
        Kankakee IL

Comment

Just got a pair of automatic relief valves in the mail from machtech today. I screwed them back into the tractor, topped off the fluid and tomorrow I will test it out.
          the email I have for him is no good (got one of those "mailer-daemon undeliverable" emails in my in box about 12 hours after trying to give him a heads-up that I had sent in a pair. Total turnaround time was right at 2 weeks.
          A bit longer than I had hoped (especially since this is somebody else's tractor) but they look brand new, like they can't be the same ones that I sent in.
          I did a complete dump of the old fluid and put on a new filter last year and this machine hasn't been run regularly in that time, and it took over 3 quarts to top it off. Must have been leaking longer than I thought.

In the year and a half since the fluid dump and filter service, I or my wife have been the only people to run the machine even though it isn't ours (we used it on the tractor owner's property, rotating it among 2 IH CC 1200s he also owns/I maintain plus a couple of my machines to keep them freed up) I never noticed any adverse trans symptoms other than the leak which I discovered upon bringing it back home to fix an engine runability issue...
          Don
          Kankakee IL

Comment

Working...
          X