1650: Upgrades and repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1650: Upgrades and repairs

So I thought I'd go ahead and start a thread while my wife is jabbering away on the phone. (Not common for her. Usually it's me who's always on the phone.) Anyway, as most of you know, I just picked up a 1650 that I plan to add to my collection of working tractors. It was time to retire the 1811 from mowing duty. Something I have wanted to do for a few years now. It has over 2000 hours on it, and is in need of some TLC. Nothing major.... but after 2000 hours the steering is loose and it has a few leaks. The engine now has close to 1000 hours on it, and it's time to pull the heads and go over some things. It runs fantastic, but I want to check out the valve train. That's how you keep things going for thousands of hours.... you take care of them.

So... the 1650. Just a refresher story on this one. I was in need of some 14 and 16hp engines for rebuilding on exchange so I asked Lance to keep his eyes peeled for engines or whole tractor with good core engines for cheap. He found (and delivered already) a 1450 which I took the engine out of and will use the parts left or sell them. He also about the same time found me a 1650. It was sitting under a 2nd story deck when he went to look at it. It came with a front blade, I think maybe some chains and a mower deck. It was missing the side panels and deck subframe and looked terribly dirty and rough. Lance wondered if maybe it would start, so they tried to jump it even though the guy said it had been sitting for at least 2 years. To their surprise it fired right up! They got it loaded and he took it home. Upon closer inspection, the hour meter only read 50 hours (confirmed) but to jump ahead in the story a bit, now that I have the tractor I think it is more like 650 hours. Still, low hours for a nearly 45 year old machine I think!! The blade was in good condition, and the mower deck had only slightly been used. Someone has repainted it, but it is obvious, it was rarely used. Just as a note, Lance kept the blade and I took the deck and tractor. As stated he did jump it and get it running, but later he charged up the battery good and put a carb kit in it. So it run nice once I got it.

After getting it home, I have spent just a little time looking it over. It appears to have been very poorly cared for in it's life. Paint is original, but it had sat outside so much that there are holes rotted through the hood and floorboards of the fenders. Dash is a bit loose, and the steering is too. Looks like some loose bolts and lack of grease on the steering. I stuck a light in the tank, and it has got just a little water in it, so I need to flush it out. Lance said he washed it after putting the carb kit in and thinks maybe it got in that way. QL hood covers the tank, and the gauge lid is cracked like all they old ones are, so that's likely right. Engine is loose on the cradle, but the rubber mounts seem ok. Driveshaft is good and tight. PTO works. Lance says the lights did, but they don't now. May be due to the beating it took on the way home. The 1450 I got from him earlier is likely going to donate it's hood, fenders and side panels. They all look to be in good enough shape to repaint. The 1650 needs the general service work done to it, and all the fluids changed. Likely a set of new front tires, as Lance threw on some that held air because the ones on it were dry rotted and cracked and wouldn't hold air. The loaded AG's I had on the 1811 will likely find their home on the 1650.

Here's quick list of the planned things to do to it:
    • Pull and rebuild the steering sector or use a spare box and rebuild/ replace.
    • Add front axle stabilizers like the later CCC build machines had. (Jamb bolt that stabilizes the axle.)
    • Change all fluids
    • Lubricate and check out hydro linkage.
    • Check engine over and find source of small leak. Appears to be the valve cover gasket.
    • Remove engine and do the cradle mod. (Weld a bar between the two if you aren't familiar with that modification.) May replace the rubber mounts with solid while engine is out. Will check oil pan and repair as necessary. It is currently missing two engine to cradle bolts. Pan looks good from what I can see.
    • Replace existing PTO with one from an 82 series so that all my tractors run the 5/8" belt and implements can be swapped without any pulley changes.
    • Repaint hood, side panels and fender pan from donor 1450 and swap out to the 1650
    • Get lights to work and check out electrical system for any issues.
    • Repair deck subframe I have for a 50A deck and mount it up.
    • Remove front gauge wheels from a junk deck shell and weld onto the 50A deck that came with the tractor.
    • Service the 50A if it needs anything at all other than front wheels.
    • New front tires, and get the loaded AG's I have repaired and put on. (One of the tires has a bad valve stem. Needs new tube.)

All in all, a lot of that will go fast. Once it is up and in working order, and I have time, I'll do the painting and swapping of the pretty stuff. Running and using is first priority. I'll get some pics posted up as soon as the rain stops and I can get it out in the sun. I had to work Friday, and didn't unload it until dark. Saturday I spent all day getting mowing machines ready and mowed this yard and took the boy in town to mow the one yard I got for them to mow. (Need two more to mow so all 3 boys each get one. Time they started working!!!)

Stay tuned!!!!

~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Sounds like a nice project tractor Jon. Looking forward to the pictures.

Comment

Looking forward to it as well. Dad's 1650 will be my next Cub project (his old Homelite R5 rototiller will probably be the next project through the garage). I'll be paying close attention.
      Brian - Spring Grove, IL
      IH 782 w/50c; Dad's 1650 (needs restored)
      CCC 782 dual stick w/44c; 1050 w/38c; 1861 w/54GT
      Parts 782, 1811, 1710, 1200
      Numerous IH, Brinly, Agri-Fab attachments

Comment

Finally, a "resurrection" by Jon. I've been waiting for this for a very long time.

Sounds like you've got a good game plan.
        They can't all be turn key.
        Make the best of each and every day.
        Todd
        Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Originally posted by zippy1 View Post
          Finally, a "resurrection" by Jon. I've been waiting for this for a very long time.

Sounds like you've got a good game plan.
          Well, lol, like I said.... I'll try not to disappoint. I need this tractor in a bad way, so hopefully I'll finish this right. I have a habit of getting things up and going mechanically, and leaving the body work. I'd like to finish this one so it's just done.
          ~Jonathan
          Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post

Well, lol, like I said.... I'll try not to disappoint. I need this tractor in a bad way, so hopefully I'll finish this right. I have a habit of getting things up and going mechanically, and leaving the body work. I'd like to finish this one so it's just done.
            Yeah, we'd "like" that as well.
            They can't all be turn key.
            Make the best of each and every day.
            Todd
            Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

• dodge trucker
              dodge trucker commented
              Editing a comment
              sounds familiar, youre not alone on that island. I get things to the point of running and working and call it "good" too often to remember

Man that's a long list! I hope your more disciplined than I and actually do all of that! Be sure to take pix!

Comment

Nevermind, got rid of the frame still have a few other pieces left off of that one
              Don
              Kankakee IL

Comment

Sorry I haven’t commented on this yet! My week has been so busy. You forgot to mention the tractor also came with a rear lift, which you were very happy about 😊 I can’t wait to finish some of the projects I have going now so I can start a Cub project. These longer days will help with that, I think. Looking forward to seeing this machine rise up again to become a work horse!
                Lance

Cub Cadet, 73, 104, 106, 107, 125, 126, 127, 147 (2), 169, 1050, 1282, 1864

Comment

Working...
                X