Innards of a sunstrand hydro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Innards of a sunstrand hydro?

I have never been inside of one. My 129 had a problem where it had forward only, not only no reverse but no neutral either. I am swapping in another that I have here as soon as I get my cork gasket, and this isn't an immediate need since it is now a spare. I definitely didn't see anything with the trunnion that stuck out at me, moved linkage manually all the way thru the range and no change. If I pull it apart is there anything I should expect to find in there? Or NOT find? The part of the trunnion with the Chevy emblem cut into it did have a little in/out play, more than the one did on the replacement hydro but I would think that moving it manually would exclude that as the problem? Or not? The trunnion lever does seem to rotate thru it's range easier that on the pump that I put back in there, not by alot but it is noticeable.
    Don
    Kankakee IL

Don, sorry it took me so long to answer, but I've dealt with that exact issue before on the Sundstrand units. The trunion shaft (both sides) goes through the case and fits into the swash plate. They (trunion shafts) are held in the swash plate with spirol roll pins. The pins can break and then the swash plate won't center. I guarantee you have a broken pin. It's not too bad to fix, but you have to get the case clean, and have a good clean work space. It's best if you can split the case and keep the pistons from falling out of the block, as they are fit to the bore they are in. Not the end of the world if they spill out in a pile, but if you can, keep them in place. If I remember right, there are 4 pins, two in each shaft. You have to drive them through and out the back, and it's too close to the back of the case for one long pin, thus two shorter pins. Anyway, fix it and you'll have a good spare unit.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

You're right Jon, 4 pins, 2 each shaft. I just had the 1782 apart.

Comment

ok, thanks…. I'm wanting to go inside this unit, anyways, just to see what makes it tick, if nothing else. If that's all it is, that doesn't sound too bad of a fix. I have another 129 that came to me as parts that doesn't have a rear end in it right now.... that's all I need, another tractor to piece back together/ build up, haha.....
        Don
        Kankakee IL

Comment

• dodge trucker
          dodge trucker commented
          Editing a comment
          will probably take it to work and do it there, lots more bench space.... got a good source for seals/ gaskets besides Ebay?

The gaskets and o-rings you have to get from Sauer Danfoss or Cub Cadet. Somewhere I have the input/output and trunion seal part numbers for I think National seals. I think you'll need two gaskets counting the cork one that goes between the hydro and tranny, 4 seals, and 1 o-ring, unless you completely disassemble it. Then there are at least 4 more o-rings that I can think of.
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Here a list I did up when I rebuilt the hydro on one of my Cubs, It's posted on our resource page here on ECC.

https://www.everythingcubcadet.com/f...-differentials

Comment

Working...
          X