Cadet 76 "Facelift"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cadet 76 "Facelift"

Well, I guess I decided on this winters project. Seems fitting, being this was my folks lawn tractor, back in it's early life.
    I've been after it for a couple years now, and today it finally happened.
    First off, here's some of what I remember. My father bought it second hand. He bought it as a trade in to the local IH dealer. We had a Coast to Coast rider prior to them getting the 76.
    It was a real "treat" using this, compared to the old one, being it was only a single blade mower. Didn't take near as long to cut the yard.
    Moved out in 79 or 80, and I really don't recall what happened, or when they sold it, or who they sold it to. Well, ten years ago, or so ago, a buddy is telling me about this "Cub Cadet tractor" his father's got, seeing I'm into the Cub Cadets.
    I go and look at it, sure as shit, it's "our" old mower. I knew it right away from the "STUMP JUMPER" tag on the hood. The original owner put it on, for some reason. Anyway, I tried buying it then, but they wanted to keep it. It hadn't run for sometime.
    So, if some of you remember, from the other forum, three years ago I found another model 76, for cheap, and bought it. Trying to relive some of the past I guess. ONLY difference was, the other one had/has electric start, and "ours" didn't.
    Anyway, sorry if I'm goin off the rails here. Well, my friends father died earlier this year, and he thought I should have the tractor again. And today, my buddy brought it by. To stay this time.
    From what I can see, just looking at it, the engine was replaced, and the hoods been wrecked/broken and patched sometime. NASTY ass fuel, and NO oil in the engine.
    So, my plan is to combine the two, and use as much of the "original" 76, and do a full blown Zippy facelift. May take some time, but doesn't everything I do, take longer than everyone else? I know, it's not a GT, which most of us are more interested in, and more practical, but hey, it's part of my past...
    And the dog Colt, looking like, "oh boy, here we go again, all that noise, and stink..."

IMG_3580.JPGIMG_3582.JPGIMG_3584.JPGIMG_3586.JPGIMG_3581.JPGIMG_3590.JPGIMG_3583.JPGIMG_3591.JPGIMG_3593.JPG
    They can't all be turn key.
    Make the best of each and every day.
    Todd
    Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Awesome, love the name and the story! Look forward to watching this.
    Tanner
    Elk River, Minnesota

Comment

I'm looking forward to it too. Trying to decide what I'll do for a project as well. Been looking hard for something last few weeks.
      Brian - Spring Grove, IL
      IH 782 w/50c; Dad's 1650 (needs restored)
      CCC 782 dual stick w/44c; 1050 w/38c; 1861 w/54GT
      Parts 782, 1811, 1710, 1200
      Numerous IH, Brinly, Agri-Fab attachments

Comment

Todd, That thing is kinda cute! Looks like a fun project!.. the story to go with it and the past attachment to it is worth it's weight in gold.. I have a friend that collects most anything and he won't buy anything unless it comes with a story! Whatever you do you gotta keep that STUMP JUMPER tag!!

Comment

Anybody know if IH actually built these? Or were they contracted out? Doesn't really matter, I was just curious?

Comment

• J-Mech
            J-Mech commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm like 99.9% sure they contracted them out. To who?..... Probably MTD.

Todd, I look forward to every project from you! I kind of like that you take a while to do them because it gives us months of pictures to look at and stuff to read. Can't wait buddy!!
          ~Jonathan
          Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging words guys. Should be a fun "little" project.
            Had to get into it today. Rained here all day, so it was a perfect excuse.
            Pulled the deck, and it's in real good condition. Other than one of the blades has a little wobble in it. A shot bearing, or two.
            Not even going to mess with the engine. The doner tractors engine seemed to run well, plus it's got the electric start.
            Having it up on the hoist, the rear end looks exactly like the one that was in that Case 120 I had. Peerless? Need to investigate that a little more. Next up will be a good pressure washing, then more disassembly.
            9-22-19 (1).JPG9-22-19 (2).JPG9-22-19 (4).JPG9-22-19 (5).JPG
            Todd

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post
              Todd, I look forward to every project from you! I kind of like that you take a while to do them because it gives us months of pictures to look at and stuff to read. Can't wait buddy!!
              Same here!! I sign in just to see Zippy's progress.. always lots of good info and good pics!!

Comment

Can't wait for the Stump Jumper makeover! Hope your winter isn't as bad as last year!

Comment

Cute little tractor....love the history of it. Very sturdy... obviously, built to IH specs. Have fun with it.
                  Queen Of The QuietLines

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaCub View Post
                    Cute little tractor....love the history of it. Very sturdy... obviously, built to IH specs. Have fun with it.
                    Thanks Beth.
                    Todd

Comment

Originally posted by zippy1 View Post
                      Having it up on the hoist, the rear end looks exactly like the one that was in that Case 120 I had. Peerless?
                      Yes, it is.
                      ~Jonathan
                      Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post

Yes, it is.
                        And that was a GT, and this is only a LT.
                        Todd

Comment

• J-Mech
                          J-Mech commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It's built IH tough!!!

I love watching your projects Zippy and this one will be no different. So what if it's only a "lawn tractor", it's a neat little piece of Cub history, it'll be a long winter, and you take good pictures! Ready, Get set, Go!

Comment

Got more parts and pieces off today. Now I can get the pressure washer out, and give it a bath before more pieces come off.
                          Brake assembly cleaned. Suppose I'll paint it, so it won't rust.
                          Hey Jon, look, more IH bolts...
                          9-24-19 (6).JPG9-24-19 (7).JPG9-24-19 (8).JPG9-24-19 (9).JPG9-24-19 (13).JPG9-24-19 (11).JPG
                          Todd

Comment

• J-Mech
                            J-Mech commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Maybe IH did build the LT's.... I always assumed they subbed it out. And maybe they did, but supplied the fasteners too. ??

• zippy1
                            zippy1 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I don't know Jon, there are only the two carriage bolts, with the markings. Just had to give you shit, with the "bolt thang", or I wouldn't be doing my job, -
                        Working...
                        X