CH18 swap into a 682

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CH18 swap into a 682

I have a 682 with a KT17 with 1400+ hours on it so after about a year of searching found a CH18s to swap into it, I still have the 782 donor I used to upgrade the 682 to hydraulic lift, love that. So thought I would work out some of this in the 782 frame, I think I'm real close on the engine mounting but not sure enough of the dims from one frame to the other to have a drive shaft made, just have to wait until it's all in the final destination to be sure on that.

So moving on to the next step I would like to get it running, cleaned it all up, changed oil and plugs so how to wire it, I'll be honest I've always struggled with small engine electrical, hoping someone can provide a diagram or some clues as to how to get this wired up.
    Posting the CH tag and an "as set in pic" and the KT tag, any other info needed? Keep in mind most things are just finger tight at this point.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Vic
    filedata/fetch?filedataid=2826IMG_3769.jpgIMG_4173.JPG
    Vic
    Beulah, Michigan

Hey Vic. I just wanted to post and say I will work on getting you something drawn up, but it's going to take me a couple days. With the holiday week, I've got a lot going on.

Couple questions:
    *Do you want to retain as much of the original wiring as possible? Or are you ok with modifying the wiring? In other words, do you want to just plug into what is there, or rewire?
    *Does the new engine have a fuel solenoid on the carb?
    *Does it have an oil sentry switch?

The last two questions I can probably figure out by engine serial and model nmbers if you don't know.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Hi Jon,
      No worries on the time, I'm not in a rush at this point, I know the CH has the oil century, assuming I just leave that plugged but do I need to do something for the wiring to work?
      I'll have to check on the fuel solenoid, I'm thinking not, we think this is maybe the first year for the CH18, I'll get back to you on this.
      In an ideal world I would love to be able to just go out and turn the key like I always did but understand if that isn't practical.
      Thanks!
      Vic
      Vic
      Beulah, Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by Redblower View Post
        Hi Jon,
        No worries on the time, I'm not in a rush at this point, I know the CH has the oil century, assuming I just leave that plugged but do I need to do something for the wiring to work?
        I'll have to check on the fuel solenoid, I'm thinking not, we think this is maybe the first year for the CH18, I'll get back to you on this.
        In an ideal world I would love to be able to just go out and turn the key like I always did but understand if that isn't practical.
        Thanks!
        Vic
        I did the same swap.. just retained the original 782 wiring.. made some small mods to the batt cable, left the oil sentry hooked up and used a simple relay to convert from the batt ignition of the old KT17 to the newer magneto based command system.. basically the old coil power wire keeps the relay open as long as it's switched on.. when you switch it off the relay reverts to ground and kills the spark.. works great and the mods were simple.. I'll have to go back and see if I have any pics of how I wired it..

Comment

Thanks Jay, really appreciate all the research you have done, and we are building content, that's a good thing.
          I looked at the diagram I have today with someone that understands this kind of thing and have some homework to do, wire tracing mostly and will come back with some questions if I can't piece it together.
          Vic
          Vic
          Beulah, Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by jaynjeep View Post

I did the same swap.. just retained the original 782 wiring.. made some small mods to the batt cable, left the oil sentry hooked up and used a simple relay to convert from the batt ignition of the old KT17 to the newer magneto based command system.
            I think that's the way to go too Jay. Minor modification, and easy to do.
            ~Jonathan
            Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Thanks Guys, hoping to get to looking at it this weekend.
              Happy Thanksgiving!
              Vic
              Vic
              Beulah, Michigan

Comment

Thanks Guys, hoping to get to looking at it this weekend.
                Happy Thanksgiving!
                Vic
                Black Friday and Sat after Thanksgiving are usually "MY" days to work on Cub projects.. as the wife is shopping with her family and the shop is closed.. nobody to bother me and I can just sit there and tinker with a Cub.. But this year is a bit different.. I am chomping at the bit to get back on my 782/1864 project but am still recovering from spine surgery..

I feel like working but doc says NO! Still on 10 lb lifting restriction, no pulling, tugging, squatting or bending.. I also promised not to touch a tool until he cleared me!

So I'm out this year... but I am pulling for you Redblower!!

Comment

Dang Jay, tough way to go there, I can't imagine, play by the dr. rules and you will probably be back in business faster, wishing you all the luck and sending thoughts & prayers your way for a speedy recovery!
                  Vic
                  Vic
                  Beulah, Michigan

Comment

Dang Jay, tough way to go there, I can't imagine, play by the dr. rules and you will probably be back in business faster, wishing you all the luck and sending thoughts & prayers your way for a speedy recovery!
                    Vic
                    Thank you for the thoughts and prayers!

Comment

Hey Guys, silly question, is this basically what it should be looking like, if so how do you remove the air cleaner cover?
                      Vic
                      IMG_3769.jpg
                      Vic
                      Beulah, Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post
                        Hey Vic. I just wanted to post and say I will work on getting you something drawn up, but it's going to take me a couple days. With the holiday week, I've got a lot going on.

Couple questions:
                        *Do you want to retain as much of the original wiring as possible? Or are you ok with modifying the wiring? In other words, do you want to just plug into what is there, or rewire?
                        *Does the new engine have a fuel solenoid on the carb?
                        *Does it have an oil sentry switch?

The last two questions I can probably figure out by engine serial and model nmbers if you don't know.
                        Doesn't look like I ever answered these last 2 questions;
                        it does have a fuel solenoid on the carb.
                        Engine says oil sentry on it and I found a sensor on top of the block in front of the carb that has a wire running out of it.
                        Hope that helps and just let me know if you need anything else.
                        Thanks,
                        Vic
                        Vic
                        Beulah, Michigan

Comment

Hey Guys, silly question, is this basically what it should be looking like, if so how do you remove the air cleaner cover?
                          Vic
                          IMG_3769.jpg
                          It's a really, really tight fit
                          Brian - Spring Grove, IL
                          IH 782 w/50c; Dad's 1650 (needs restored)
                          CCC 782 dual stick w/44c; 1050 w/38c; 1861 w/54GT
                          Parts 782, 1811, 1710, 1200
                          Numerous IH, Brinly, Agri-Fab attachments

Comment

Vic
                            IMG_3769.jpg

Yes, that is close. Still looks too far forward in the pic. Not sure if it's bolted in or not.

For the 82 series tractors, you have to cut off the back of the air filter cover. The "flap" on the back has to come off, or else you can't get the cover off, or at least not easily. You will have to cut it off.

There is another style air filter housing that can be used, but you would have to find one. Different manufacturers used different air intake housings. Walker Mowers are one company that used a different style.
                            ~Jonathan
                            Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Vic, in your first post the pic of the CH motor tag isn't there. You stated you were including one, but there are only two pictures. I went in on the admin side and I still can't find of see it. Can you either get the numbers posted up, or another pic please?
                              ~Jonathan
                              Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Working...
                              X