Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1512 Diesel score of the day

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    1512 Diesel score of the day

    Got a call from a buddy this morning.... and my wife was going Christmas shopping today! That's how I got in trouble!

    I was just going to check out his score from a few weeks ago.... then he tells me he really isn't into this tractor and offered for me to own it?

    SO Y'ALL know I couldn't say no!!

    We don't know much about it... he bought it at a farm equipment auction about 2 weeks ago.. it cranks and runs... doesn't appear that it was ever beat on or abused.. Here is the big BUT... The water pump belt is wrapped around the driveshaft.. I'm hoping and praying that it didn't get run hot

    Not sure if you can see in the pics but not real fond of the previous owners add on battery box! But it does work..

    Pretty sure at best it will need the glow plug relay upgrade... along with the gear reduction starter.. And I gotta get that battery back under the hood for sure..!!

    Should be a fun project as long as the engine turns out ok.. it runs slick but hard to start and can't run it very long with the water pump not turning..

    Any tips appreciated.. I've worked on my Cyclops diesel a good bit but not really familiar with the 82 series diesels.. I know they have some quirks..

    WISH IT WAS RED!!

    Let me know what you think!!

    100_3584.JPG100_3585.JPG100_3587.JPG

    #2
    Looks good Jay. That is an early built 1512 with that hood decal. I agree, get that batt back where it belongs and do the GP/starter stuff.

    I run Gates belts.
    Water Pump -- 7320
    Fan -- 6727

    Check the fan shaft bearings good too.

    If I ever finish my shop I have 3 little red smokers that maybe one wouldn't mind moving a little further south.

    That would leave an open spot in the shop for a Y&W 982.

    Comment


    • jaynjeep
      jaynjeep commented
      Editing a comment
      Todd, would you happen to know the industry number on the fan support bearings. Cub Cadet gets almost $50 each for them.. would like to order some and have on hand when I take it apart.. they do feel a bit loose.. I feel sure it's a common bearing.

    #3
    Well, look at you Jay. Lucky son of a gun. Well, if you bought it right anyway.
    I know NOTHING about the smokers, but I do know that battery location is rather tacky. Hope it ain't an issue with slow cranking, that's why they upped the battery size...
    I know you're working on your "dream" tractor, and prolly don't need another "project", but hey, it's in your possession, so it can be worked on at another time. Anytime.
    (Side note to Todd/Oak, hey, why not send one of those "extra" smokers North?)
    They can't all be turn key.
    Make the best of each and every day.
    Todd
    Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

    Comment


      #4
      Congratulations Jay!!!! Looks to be in great shape!
      Did you get the side panels?

      The early smokers are no different than the new ones. Electrical was a bit different, but the only real difference is where they put the radiator, and the old motors were sleeved, and the newer ones were not. That's basically the only difference between the D600 and the D640. No sleeves. So, you should be fine. I've been into several of them, and I think Stan (Diesel Doc) has too. Todd (Oak) has done some work on them too. You know how to get our attention if you have any questions!
      ~Jonathan
      Oblong, Illinois

      Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

      I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

      Comment


        #5
        Nice looking tractor Jay!
        Vic
        Beulah, Michigan

        Comment


        • jaynjeep
          jaynjeep commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Vic! Didn't need another project but when something rare or different comes along it's hard for me to pass up!! Hopefully get this one cranking and charging and get the waterpump turning and it might have to sit in line a while!!
          How's the wiring coming? I know yall have been having some nasty weather up there!

        • Redblower
          Redblower commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm sure you'll get it running and I don't blame you for picking that up. We've had some rough weather but Friday it warmed up into the 30's today was 40 and supposed to stay like this thru Christmas, crazy weather, I'm still chasing wires...

        #6
        Originally posted by Oak View Post
        Looks good Jay. That is an early built 1512 with that hood decal. I agree, get that batt back where it belongs and do the GP/starter stuff.

        I run Gates belts.
        Water Pump -- 7320
        Fan -- 6727

        Check the fan shaft bearings good too.

        If I ever finish my shop I have 3 little red smokers that maybe one wouldn't mind moving a little further south.

        That would leave an open spot in the shop for a Y&W 982.
        Thanks Todd! Belt numbers are very helpful! I had always heard the fan support bearings were problematic but fortunately looks like they are replaceable with common ball bearings..

        I need to come north and see that palace that you call a shop anyway!! Might have to bring some tradin materials along!!

        Comment


          #7
          Originally posted by zippy1 View Post
          Well, look at you Jay. Lucky son of a gun. Well, if you bought it right anyway.
          I know NOTHING about the smokers, but I do know that battery location is rather tacky. Hope it ain't an issue with slow cranking, that's why they upped the battery size...
          I know you're working on your "dream" tractor, and prolly don't need another "project", but hey, it's in your possession, so it can be worked on at another time. Anytime.
          (Side note to Todd/Oak, hey, why not send one of those "extra" smokers North?)
          Thanks Todd!! I wasn't gonna let this one slip by.. If I can ever get well enough and get Dr's clearance to go back to work I want to finish the 782 first.. It's been waiting too long!! Might tinker with this 1512 here and there.. maybe at least get it where it cranks well and get a belt back on the waterpump.

          Still on a 20lb weight limit and no pulling, stooping, or working over head.. about the only thing i'm cleared for is light bench work.. But at least my arm and shoulder doesn't feel like it's about to fall off like it did all last year!

          Hope you are doing a bit better.. no fun to hurt!! Trust me I know!

          Comment


            #8
            Originally posted by J-Mech View Post
            Congratulations Jay!!!! Looks to be in great shape!
            Did you get the side panels?

            The early smokers are no different than the new ones. Electrical was a bit different, but the only real difference is where they put the radiator, and the old motors were sleeved, and the newer ones were not. That's basically the only difference between the D600 and the D640. No sleeves. So, you should be fine. I've been into several of them, and I think Stan (Diesel Doc) has too. Todd (Oak) has done some work on them too. You know how to get our attention if you have any questions!
            Thanks Jon,

            No side panels.. But I think I have a spare set.. guess I just cut the hole for the muffler? Looks to be the only difference.. anybody got measurements?

            Very hard to start but once started it runs well.. I"m thinking the glow plugs are only half working and the starter is dragging pretty bad..

            So hopefully no cracked head or blown headgasket.. but we will see..

            Glow plug upgrade, starter upgrade, and new belts are first on the list.. maybe a valve adjustment if all else checks out..

            I never have had a 15hp diesel.. but my 17hp pulls that Haban 60 very well... so this one should do well with a 50C I hope..

            I'm sure I'll have questions..

            Comment


            • CubDieselFan
              CubDieselFan commented
              Editing a comment
              It will not have any problem running the 50c. My 1572 has a 50c and it is the same engine. Works great.

            #9

            (Side note to Todd/Oak, hey, why not send one of those "extra" smokers North?)[/QUOTE]

            I just may do that if I could find a beautifully restored Original.

            Comment


            • jaynjeep
              jaynjeep commented
              Editing a comment
              Todd (Oak)... I heard there was a pretty nice Original sitting in some guy's living room up that way somewhere?!

            #10
            Great looking tractor! Congrats.
            Tanner
            Elk River, Minnesota

            Comment

            Working...
            X