New bagger.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New bagger.

When I got the 1440 I did some digging and found out they offered a fan assisted bagger back when it was new, I also figured there was no hope of finding one so I decided find a regular bagger I could modify. Last night at 10:30 I went on Craigslist and typed in bagger and the top result said "Cub Cadet fan assist bagger", not only did it turn out to be the correct bagger for the 1440 but it was also brand new in the box. When I arrived to pick it up I saw he also had a used one which he's also gave me. I now have two complete fan assisted bagger setups and I'm pretty excited about it.
    Tim - It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
    Indiana, PA
    Check out my Youtube channel -

https://www.youtube.com/user/xOLDS45512x

NOS is awesome! Where's the pictures???

~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Here's some pics. The 1440 calls for the 293 bagger and this one is a 292 and the difference is the mounting bracket for the bags but the guy gave me the correct bracket for the older tractors. Inside the box is a complete unit including the pulley for the deck which i was worried about.
      Indiana, PA

Comment

WOW, amazing. I looked for a few years for the fan unit for my 48" and 54" deck, but gave up. Congrats.

Comment

• olds45512
          olds45512 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I was extremely surprised when I found it and even more surprised when I showed up and he threw the used unit into the deal. The used blower is pretty beat and the impeller is in bad shape but I have a cousin the works in a big metal fab shop so I'm gonna talk to him about making a new impeller out of steel.

My cousin stopped by today to look at a project i have for him. He works in a metal fab shop and is going to make me a new impeller out of steel. I'm hoping to get the used unit rebuilt so the NOS unit can just be put in storage for a rainy day.
        Indiana, PA

Comment

That's awesome, Tim! I'm going to miss being in a Cub hot area. Not as many for sale out where I'm going. Might have to take trips back out here for the good deals. Lol
          Lance

Cub Cadet, 73, 104, 106, 107, 125, 126, 127, 147 (2), 169, 1050, 1282, 1864

Comment

That is so awesome!!! I'm glad you got it, funny how the right search on the right day yields the impossible. Can't wait for pix!

Comment

Those are awesome Tim, I run one on one of my 3k tractors and it works great but it sucks a lot of power to run it. I may be interested in an impeller but the Deere makes one pretty cheap that is the same....I think.
              https://www.amazon.com/John-Deere-Or.../dp/B00CSBQGMU
              I've thought about making one out of steel but it would need to be balanced.

Mine is beat to shit and I need to make a new housing but I've got too many irons on the fire rigt now. Keep us posted on how it works for ya.

Comment

• olds45512
                olds45512 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I don't think the 1440 has the balls to run it. Hopefully i'm going to order an 18hp vanguard from sew in the future.

Well, my plastic fan impeller is destroyed and that was my 3rd one in about 8 years. I decided to build one out of 1/4" steel. I probably should have used 3/16 but I didn't have any. I made the new one as close to the original as possible with what I have. I cut a 9" square plate and 4 blades with my plasma cutter. I weighed each blade and ground them down to the same weight to try and keep it balanced as much as possible. I then welded the blades in place and test spun it outside with my drill. I could only get about 1500rpm but it didn't seem to have much vibration or balance issues.

I then installed it on my 3205 for a test run. I cranked the tractor up with the brake on, stood on the left side of the tractor and engaged the pto and gave it full throttle and ran like hell about 50' away. I let it run that way for about 5 minutes and it didn't fly apart or have much if any noticeable vibration. Holy shit, the impeller was spinning at 4600 rpm. I then grabbed a small 3/4" piece of plywood to put between me and the 10lb spinning piece of shrapnel and did a test mow. Dang, it worked great and I mowed a small patch with no issues.

Later that night I was thinking how fast that thing is spinning and decided to slow it down. The driver pulley on the spindle is 4" and driven on the blower was a 3.2. From what I could tell, I think the blades are spinning 3700 rpm so with that ratio it gives you about 4625 fan rpm. I installed a 5.2" pulley on the fan and I should be running about 2850 now. So far I have about 3 hours of run time and it works great. I need to build a new housing but that will be this winter or next year.

I didn't get any good pics of the fan build but here it is on the test table. I did add a few more welds to it before I installed it.

Comment

Well done. Maybe a tire shop with adaptor or driveshaft shop could check the balance. Good looking welds.

Comment

Driveshaft shop that's worth it's weight can balance it. Tire shop cannot. A tire balancer isn't sensitive enough to balance much of anything. They goof tires up sometimes.

Todd, I think it looks really good!
                  ~Jonathan
                  Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Congrats on the awesome find! I would have a hard time putting the NOS one into service, too.
                    Brice

Comment

Working...
                    X