Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I find this 2072 with rear PTO, a 442 tiller and a 1711 on FB marketplace.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I find this 2072 with rear PTO, a 442 tiller and a 1711 on FB marketplace.

For some reason I needed to buy another project because 20+ tractors sitting outside isn't enough.

Long story short, I got it running but the drive line is pure crap and this thing has so much grease and oil caked on it I said "Hell, I need to pull this thing apart and freshen it up".

I got the rear pulled and will do the drain holes in the case and all the other normal stuff but for some reason I like to change all the bearings out on my rear PTO's when I get them......I know, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" but I'm an idiot. Anywho I ended up breaking the cast iron bearing bracket as seen here. I still haven't got the bearings out yet but it is soaking in Kroil and I hope I can get them out. What are your thoughts on getting this repaired? I have never welded cast iron before. I do have an email in to Jeff on getting some other parts made that I need so I asked him if he could repair it.

IMG_2289.jpg IMG_2288.jpg IMG_2287.jpg

Todd! What do you mean 20 tractors sitting outside?! You have that biiiiig barn you just built! (Which by they way, we need some updated pictures of.) Maybe some pics of this 2072, tiller and 1711.

As far as welding the cast, it can be done if it has a high enough iron content. Just depends on how good the cast is. Being it is a bearing block, and basically has the entire load on it, I would say it can be welded. But you have to get it apart first. Welding cast iron is a trick and I would suggest having someone with experience do it. That is a pretty critical part and needs to be strong. For what it’s worth, IHCCW did have one of those blocks for sale at one point. I think if worse came to worse you could have one CNC milled from a billet block. That whole PTO set up is something I’ve often thought about trying to get reproduced. I mean, for the price they sell for I think you could build an entire unit for no less. Back on topic, it was common to braze cast, but for that component I think it could be welded. Brazing would likely be fine. I’ve seen large cast pulleys in high load critical applications that were brazed and never broke again, but it takes an experienced welder to do it well. I think it can likely be repaired.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Thanks for the info Jon. Man, this one is a bitch to get apart. The last one I did wasn't too bad but this one is frozen solid it seems. I have it soaking in Kroil and didn't have time tonight to mess with it. The problem is there is nowhere to put any type of puller on it (that I can see). + the pulley is a stamped piece of metal that will bend easily. I removed the 2 back retaining clips and I'm trying to drive it out with a BFH but I know I don't want mushroom the shaft either. There is another retaining clip behind the pulley but I don't see how to get it out of there so you have to drive the shaft out completely through both bearings. I'll keep you posted on the beating & cursing when I swing at it again.

I will say this. This was the first time wrenching on Cubs in a long time and I forgot how much I enjoy it.

Yes, I have way too many Cubs and I hate to say that there are many sitting outside along with my Farmall 100 and dad's D17. My shop is 40 X 40 but I wish it was 80 X 80(just dreaming). Once I finish the shop I will have to sell some because I don't have the room to keep them all.

My building.
      I got my CO and closed out the permit in July of 2020. The MIL apartment turned out great and she loves living there. I took a break from working on it and then all the construction materials went through the roof so my side still needs a good bit done. The plumbing is done, most of the electrical is complete, I still need to get and install the floor heat boiler, A/C unit and then insulation and sheet rock. I ran 3/4" steel lines above the ceiling and dropped 1/2" steel lines down inside the wall for the compressed air system. It was close to 300' total. Now it looks like everyone is going battery power. I hope to finish this 2072 by the end of December and start back on the completing building. I'll see if I can find some new pics.

What have you been up to Jon....and everyone else?

Comment

You need a bearing flange puller. That would be the best option as I see it.

What have I been up to? Sheesh.... everything it seems. Kids are almost all teens now. 4 out of the 5. 16, 15, 14, 12, and 11. It’s testosterone and emotions at my place. Some of them are busy in all kinds of stuff, some (one) are lazy. I’ve started a mowing business that I think is going to expand in the next couple years, and gain a partner. Looking at buying some brand new equipment here over the winter so we can grow. I took a part time job delivering the mail on a rural route, and I still work on the farm. So.... one job/business or the other or the family keeps me moving. It’s 6:30am to midnight here for me usually. One of these days the kids are going to start leaving, and those days are coming faster than I want. It’s bittersweet.
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Holy Sheit people are still alive!!!!! 😲
          Randy
          Frederick MD

Gotta kill it before ya can grill it.... TN

Comment

Jon, what is a bearing flange puller? I tried everything I had, bearing separator, 3 jaw type and a harmonic balance puller. I couldn't get any of them where they needed to go. There isn't any room between the housing a stamped steel pulley for the separator to fit in or the 3 jaw puller. I ended up using the center part of the bearing separator and placed the rods into the bolt holes on the casting. That's when the foul language started flying when I heard snap.

I ended up placing a large bolt down through the hollow shaft and beat the shit out of the bolt head with a BFH while holding the cast iron bracket in my left hand. My left hand was hurting and I learned some new cuss words but it's apart now.

I know I should take it somewhere and get it welded but I'm going to see if I can use some bronze rods I have. I know.......you told me to take it somewhere and have it professionally done but you know me.

I know what ya mean about the time flying by. It's good to see the lawn care business growing and the kids are doing well. How did you make out on that Suburban or Tahoe you purchased a while back? Wasn't there something with the oil pressure system you had to repair?

Yup, we're still kicking down here in GA Randy.

Comment

I called the bearing splitter a flange puller. My bad. It's the same tool. Sounds like you tried it anyway.
              If I couldn't get that on it, I would have made a "puck" to fit the shaft and used an air hammer. If that didn't work, I would likely have made a way to hold the housing and put it in a press. I dunno. Dealing with parts they no longer make can be tricky.

Have you ever welded or brazed cast iron before?
              ~Jonathan
              Oblong, Illinois

Comment

[QUOTE=J-Mech;

Have you ever welded or brazed cast iron before?

No, but I figured I'm an expert because I watched a bunch of YouTube Vids.

It is too hard to find anyone around me to do this stuff without "sticking it to me" if you know what I mean. Jeff said his company doesn't do that type of repair. Maybe I'll get some time to give it a try. I post up some pics when I do.

Comment

Working...
                X