1864 PTO clutch bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1864 PTO clutch bearing

As I started the tractor yesterday to warm up to mow, I thought I heard the bearing in the clutch screeching. Engaged the PTO clutch and the screeching stopped. I went ahead and mowed anyway as the bearing is not active when the mower is operating. Two hours later after mowing, the bearing is quiet. Looked in my maintenance records. Five years ago I removed the seal and added grease. I am not inclined to replace a working clutch, time to grease again.

The bearing has a metallic seal that pops out using a pointed awe. See picture of pretty dry bearing before wiping old crusted grease. Cleaned bearing cavity as best as possible and added the same grease as five years ago. We'll see if it lasts another five years, at about 200 hours per year.

PTO clutch bearing grease (2).jpg

PTO clutch bearing 1.jpg
    Attached Files

This is PTO bearing right? good to know.
    Vic
    Beulah, Michigan

Comment

If you ever need to, that bearing can be replaced. Done many.
      ~Jonathan
      Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Jon is correct. I too have replaced many of them over the years. It looks like that one is a 6206 double sealed like most of them are. I usually buy the $5-$6 China specials but this looks to be a pretty good deal.

https://www.amazon.com/TIMKEN-6206-2...8660633&sr=8-3

Comment

Working...
        X