Getting the 1811 ready for snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting the 1811 ready for snow

Well, my day didn't quite go as planned, but is ending up ok. I had planned to spend the day getting all my snow equipment ready to go. Instead, this morning I had to go finish a job putting a new awning up on the local library. An early summer storm ripped it off. It took the library until October to decide what to do, then order a new awning. They got it in smack in the middle of harvest, and I made them wait. I figured it took them that long to get it in.....

Well...... here's the rest of the story..... Who rus the local library? My mother in law of coarse. So guess who has been up my rear about getting it done? Yeah. My wife. So this morning she says, "You're going to put that awning on today like you said 2 weeks ago, right?" "Sure."....

SO....... after that got done, I finally got to do what I wanted to do. Loaded up the 1050 and a yard cart and took it into town to store. Put a new battery in the 1811, (another thread about that later). Fired it up and took the mower deck off. Drained the oil with 115 hours on it out, changed the hydro filter and fuel filter. Topped off the rear end, and blew out the air filter. I'm still out working on it. This tractor needs put in the shop for a pretty thorough "go through".... but I need it on snow duty for lack of any other choice. I've got a motor to put in the 982, and a motor for the 682. If I can get them going this winter, then the 6 can take over mowing duties next year, and the 1811 can get some rest. The 1811 is my main machine, but at 2116 hours, it's in need of some work. Things are just wearing out. No doubt I can get another 2000 hours out of this tractor, but only if I give it the attention it deserves.... and I will, in due time. I'll add more pics to the thread as I get the cab on and blower on and going. Here's a quick shot in my ridiculously cluttered garage. (Work in progress.)

20181117_151800.jpg
    ​​​​​​
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

So, I still need to get a new rear inner tube, and pump the fluid out and get a new tube in. When I filled these tires with CaCl2 like 10 or 12 years ago, the local store only had one fluid tube, so I filled a regular one....knowing full well it would eventually cause issues. It did. Stem is seperate from the rubber, and the core is rotted out. I'm probably lucky it hasn't just fallen out. Other tire..... fine. No issues. Bad news: I'm told they no longer make a 23x10.50-12 bolt on stem fluid tube! So, I will be online shopping to see if China does....

Continuing on.....
    Fix a broken cab mount and put the cab on.
    Redo the area of the cab that meets the hood and side panels. I never liked how I did it originally.
    Add lights to the cab. (Hopefully making the switch to LED's.)
    I'm planning on adding heat.
    Fix the windshield wiper motor. (It works fine, but won't hold the arm any more.)
    Add a radio.
    Put the chains on the tires.
    And mount the blower. Which should be ready to go aside from servicing it.....

And that's just this tractor. Today I also mounted the blade to the Deere 317. Still need to put chains on it, and maybe some weights. Then finish up fixing up the 268 walk behind blower I got off Tim. I've got a lot to do. My friend laughs at me and asks why I don't do this stuff in the summer..... truth is, time and money. Hard to justify spending money on something you may not even need. If it wasn't for the fact I got asked to keep all the parking lots cleared on another friends apartments, I probably wouldn't be doing it now either, lol. But he owns like 5 different apartment complexes.... so, it's worth it, lol.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Here's what I am thinking for heat in the cab. Only, I want to make a way to adjust how much heat comes in... and of coarse on a CC, the exhaust pipe will need to be extended. Deere exhaust exits out the side panel. One of Deere's better designs in my opinion.

304992.jpg
      ~Jonathan
      Oblong, Illinois

Comment

That heat setup is awesome! If I had a cab I always thought an electric heater would be best but that setup looks like it would keep you nice and toasty.
        Tim - It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
        Indiana, PA
        Check out my Youtube channel -

https://www.youtube.com/user/xOLDS45512x

Comment

You got a lot accomplished today. My favorite part about reading this thread was seeing all the ongoing list of stuff to due. Makes me feel more sane knowing other people are out there with me 👍😉
          Last edited by G-Nest; 11-17-2018, 10:13 PM. Reason: Typo
          Tanner
          Elk River, Minnesota

Comment

Tim, I found that pic this summer while trying to come up with ideas for heat. I was like, yeah! I could do that!

Tanner, Thanks, lol. Oh... if you think that list was entertaining, wait until I get through it and start on the other ideas I have for it. Been working on designing the "perfect" snow tractor for a couple years now. It's going to cost a bit, so I just keep stocking up parts for it. Let's just say, single hand control for all functions. If I ever get to it, it will be awesome! I've got far more knowledge and ideas than time and money.....if only I got paid to build my own stuff, lol.
            ~Jonathan
            Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post
              Deere exhaust exits out the side panel. One of Deere's better designs in my opinion.
              My tractors exhaust out the side....
              Lance

Cub Cadet, 73, 104, 106, 107, 125, 126, 127, 147 (2), 169, 1050, 1282, 1864

Comment

Originally posted by sir_lancealot View Post

My tractors exhaust out the side....
                Very true! But yours don't have tin work taking the engine heat all the way to the grille either.....
                ~Jonathan
                Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Wow! you got alot to do! you could just put a damper in the duct coming back to the cab. Will you have a co detector in the cab?

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue11 View Post
                    Wow! you got alot to do! you could just put a damper in the duct coming back to the cab. Will you have a co detector in the cab?
                    The problem with a damper I'm the duct is the air has to have somewhere to go if it isn't coming in the cab.

As far as a CO detector, no. That cab is far from air tight. Plus I generally have the back window open because I smoke. Also, I know I don't have any exhaust leaks.
                    ~Jonathan
                    Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Not if you did a zoning system with a bypass damper.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue11 View Post
                        Not if you did a zoning system with a bypass damper.
                        Very true!
                        ~Jonathan
                        Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Why is it that when I do things now, it takes so stinking long? Oh yeah..... because I used to have everything I needed all in one shop with tons of room.

Anyway.....
                          Got back to work on the 1811 today. Mounted the blower, aired up the front tires, then loaded everything onto the trailer and went to town and hit the car wash. My tractor was a filthy pig, as was the cab and blower. I don't wash my stuff very often. I do blow it off with air all the time. I try to keep washing to once a year, but it had been a couple years since the tractor had had a bath. Just a quick wash, with only the side panels off, but looks better now.

20181118_162507.jpg

Then went on to my buddy's shed where I could use my welder, because I don't have 220 at home in the garage.... Welded up the broken cab mount, which I really should just redesign, but didn't want to mess with right now. So, just reattached it and put the cab back together. Then, I mounted it up! I'll bring it home to finish the rest.

20181118_183447.jpg20181118_190636.jpg

Oh, and here's the awning we put up on Saturday.

20181117_123626.jpg
                          ~Jonathan
                          Oblong, Illinois

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1745&d=1542601653&type=thumb

Looks good Jmech! All the way around!!

say, you got me thinking about heat. I have an IH soft cab, need to hook up sometime, but would like heat no doubt. Ran across what they call a golf cart heater...

rather interesting, runs off a refillable 1 lb tank if you so choose. Ment to go in a cup holder but could be adapted easily. Says 4.5 to 5 hr run time. Looks small enuff to be easily mounted in a cab. 4,000 btu/h is alot of heat.

not bad for 66 bucks shipped!
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

That might work. I wouldn't get it too close to the soft cab though!
                              Is it a hard cab with soft doors? Or a all around soft cab?
                              ~Jonathan
                              Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Working...
                              X