1864 #4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1864 #4

Well, I have kinda been all over creation today. Since most of what I did today involved the inlaws 1864, I should start a thread going forward.

As some know, I built a cam extension, and then loaded the back tires. Like Jon, I have alot of different projects going at once, but managed to kill a few birds today. The links to both projects are below.

Loading Tires

https://www.everythingcubcadet.com/f...getting-loaded

Cam Extension

https://www.everythingcubcadet.com/f...ic-angle-blade

What I dont have pictures of is installing a new key switch, doing start ckt relay mod, removing deck, removing seat and *adjusting* seat safety switches, removing fenders, side shields and tunnel cover to power wash everything. Then Re-assembling.

I did notice the left side is missing the brake rod, spring and clevis assembly, so that got ordered from ebay. I have known this for a while now, but the steering makes a familiar "cherp" indicating necessitation for a rebuild. Ordered the kit from Messicks along with two missing hub caps for the front. Part number 21-SK000011 or here's the link:

https://www.messicks.com/part/21-sk000011/sealkit

Side note, always price new before hitting buy it now on ebay. Brand new, the black plastic hub caps through cubcadetpartsnmore.com are under 5.00 ea. Some jack ass wanted almost 10.00 for a used one on Ebay.

Sometime this week it will make it's way to Nightow1's shop for a tune up.

Ready to see what you do to your 1864!
    Always a good idea to price new first, then check new at more than one place. Then check used. Seen lots of guys bit by not checking new prices first!
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Lots of good info for me. I recently got my 1864 and it doesn't run. I need to go through it once I open up the bay in my little shop. I'd love to get a blower for it and make it a snow machine. The hydraulic lift would be a lot nicer than all my manual lifts.
      Lance

Cub Cadet, 73, 104, 106, 107, 125, 126, 127, 147 (2), 169, 1050, 1282, 1864

Comment

• Rescue11
        Rescue11 commented
        Editing a comment
        Once you get your 18 running, it will be hard to use anything else

Oh yeah the narrow frames will sit in the shed from now on.

Comment

Brought the 42" blade in from the farm tonight. Found that I have as many tire chains as I do tractors! So I brought in a pair for this rig with the blade. Finally got #4 over to Nightow1 yesterday for him to give it a once over. Need to drain excess fluid from tires, and rebuild power steering column. Along with other things! Hoping this weekend we can have it ready to go.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=3102&d=1544494632&type=thumb
          filedata/fetch?id=3103&d=1544494685&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=3104&d=1544494787&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=3105&d=1544494856&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=3106&d=1544494896&type=thumb

Nightow1 got the 18 all service up with new plugs, filters, fluids, and adjusted the engine. Tonight I got the blade and chains put on. I also installed the lift cam extension and built a new lift rod. Man am I happy! The thing actually lifted too high, so I made it longer before cutting the rest of the rod off.

Still need to put bungie cords on the chains and build a weight bracket for the Oliver slab weight that will be mounted on the back. So, 85 lbs each tire and a 160 lb slab weight gives me 330 lbs!
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

That's some serious ground clarence right there...
            They can't all be turn key.
            Make the best of each and every day.
            Todd
            Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Lookin good!

Bungies? Meh. I don't run them. You need some 2 link chains!
              ~Jonathan
              Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Looks great! Now all you need is a bunch of snow to test that sucker out.

Comment

Originally posted by zippy1 View Post
                  That's some serious ground clarence right there...
                  That's what I was shooting at! More is always better, but the blade raised too high, and was very close to the exhaust to where the exhaust was whopping off the blade!

Comment

Originally posted by Oak View Post
                    Looks great! Now all you need is a bunch of snow to test that sucker out.
                    Thanks Todd! I'm sure we will get some before long!

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post
                      Lookin good!

Bungies? Meh. I don't run them. You need some 2 link chains!
                      Yeaaaaa.... I will never forget the first time I put chains on and ran them without straps. Chains on 1 side slipped off to the inside and wrapped around the axle and brake while I was traveling in road gear! Completely fucked everything up, besides being stuck on the main drag.

The chains are some spares I had. Bought them when I was a kid, thought they were really expensive at the time. Two links were even more... but I have kinda switched gears on this project. Being that it will live 40 mins away, I want a good reliable setup, but am a little apprehensive that my inlaws will even use this thing so I'm using what I have available and doing only what it needs.

Comment

Working...
                      X