splined pump with spirol pin-hole location needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

splined pump with spirol pin-hole location needed

I'm building a CV driveshaft adapter for a guy who wants to keep the spirol pin. All the others I've build use the center hole in the splined pump shaft. What I need to know is how far from the front of the splined shaft is the hole for the 1/8" spirol pin.

Thanks
    Jeff

Got a reply from the guy I'm building the adapter for. It looks like 3/8" from the end of the shaft.

Comment

Good deal! I only have one splined pump, and I don't know if it has the roll pin hole or not. Doubt it does.... but it's down in the storage barn, and I couldn't really easily get to it. Glad you got what you needed!
      ~Jonathan
      Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Jeff - a question comes to mind. Since the shaft is splined, how will you "time" the hole for the pin? Being splined and having the hole a little off, CCW or CW, you wouldn't be able to turn the hub to line up the holes. I'm curious because I was going to attempt to make a coupler myself and that part of the puzzle stopped me in my tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel Doc View Post
          Jeff - a question comes to mind. Since the shaft is splined, how will you "time" the hole for the pin? Being splined and having the hole a little off, CCW or CW, you wouldn't be able to turn the hub to line up the holes. I'm curious because I was going to attempt to make a coupler myself and that part of the puzzle stopped me in my tracks.
          Well, you could have me make your parts

I measure the diameter and move my mill to center. Then I put a drill in the chuck and center the coupler by eye ( I've been a machinist close to 40 years so I'm practiced). I also drill the hole about .010 larger than factory just in case I'm not quite perfectly centered.

Comment

Gotcha! and I do have you make most of my parts. I am still learning how to be a machinist after being a diesel wrench for 40+ years. Math was never my strong suit so the going is a little slow. Thank heaven for calculators!

Comment

Working...
            X