1512 service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1512 service

I've been working on getting my 1512 ready for winter service and just doing somethings it's needed. My throttle cable broke a few weeks back when i was still cleaning leaves and then my shut off cable started binding right after. The throttle cable was easy to get as they are still available. The shut off cable is NLA and took a few weeks to locate a NOS one.

I also happened to notice while cleaning leaves my PTO was making a bunch of noise so i decided it was time to replace it, I used a PTO from xtreme.

While replacing the pto i noticed that the fan was looking terrible so re replaced that and one of the bearing in the fan bracket was making noise. (I replaced these when i bought this back in 2016) I also replaced the belt again just since i was there.

Also took the time to install a block heater for cold weather starts.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Wow. You dropped some cash!

But I have to ask.....
    Was the old PTO actually bad and in need of replacing? The brake sometimes rattles when they are not properly adjusted. A bad bearing can be noisy also, but they are replaceable. You sure you needed to spend the money on a new PTO? If it was just noisy, I'm not sure you did....
    What do you mean the fan "looked bad"? Was it missing blades?
    On the kill cable, you can make them, or have them made, or replace the kill system with a simple pull cable (choke cable). Maybe you like things to be all original, and I respect that, but I'm guessing you paid quite a bit for that NOS cable.
    Where did you get the fan bearings. 2 years is nothing. It should have lasted a whole lot longer than that!

That said, you seem to take good care of your equipment! Glad you are working on it before it breaks and causes down time, and not after when you need it. When making repairs, hit us up! We might be able to save you from replacing high dollar parts for no reason!

Hey..... what ever came of your snowblower?
    https://www.everythingcubcadet.com/f...551-freshen-up

Let us know!
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Somebody's been busy. Looks like you're ready for whatever's thrown your way...
      They can't all be turn key.
      Make the best of each and every day.
      Todd
      Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post
        Wow. You dropped some cash!

But I have to ask.....
        Was the old PTO actually bad and in need of replacing? The brake sometimes rattles when they are not properly adjusted. A bad bearing can be noisy also, but they are replaceable. You sure you needed to spend the money on a new PTO? If it was just noisy, I'm not sure you did....
        What do you mean the fan "looked bad"? Was it missing blades?
        On the kill cable, you can make them, or have them made, or replace the kill system with a simple pull cable (choke cable). Maybe you like things to be all original, and I respect that, but I'm guessing you paid quite a bit for that NOS cable.
        Where did you get the fan bearings. 2 years is nothing. It should have lasted a whole lot longer than that!

That said, you seem to take good care of your equipment! Glad you are working on it before it breaks and causes down time, and not after when you need it. When making repairs, hit us up! We might be able to save you from replacing high dollar parts for no reason!

Hey..... what ever came of your snowblower?
        https://www.everythingcubcadet.com/f...551-freshen-up

Let us know!
        Other then the noisy bearings it was working fine, it would just make a loud screech noise till the PTO was turned on. I know people have found ways to replace the bearings in them but cub list them as non serviceable and i just kinda figured it's 34 years old then me why not just replace it. I did keep the old one in case i feel adventurous and feel like getting into it.

The fan someone had ground parts of it away in the past to make getting the belt on easier and it was starting to stress crack the plastic might of been fine but for 50 why chance the radiator.

For the cable honesty i lack imagination and it just seemed easier it use a factory part. I kept the old one since it's intact in case i can find someone who can reproduce them and needs one to copy.

The fan bearing is my fault when i did them 2 years ago i got a little cocky and just tried to smack them back in verse using the press at work then i used to dismantle it, The thing never felt smooth honestly. This time i used the press and it spins smooth as butter.

It just comes down to maintenance, If i stay on top of it it wont be that expensive but if i ignore it get expensive specially with a diesel.

I'm going to try messing with the blower i wanted to get the plow on this and situated before messing with it.

Comment

Nice work so far! Hope I see you and the 1512 again at Pa plow day in the spring!
          Tim - It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
          Indiana, PA
          Check out my Youtube channel -

https://www.youtube.com/user/xOLDS45512x

Comment

Originally posted by JohnWR View Post
            Other then the noisy bearings it was working fine, it would just make a loud screech noise till the PTO was turned on. I know people have found ways to replace the bearings in them but cub list them as non serviceable and i just kinda figured it's 34 years old then me why not just replace it. I did keep the old one in case i feel adventurous and feel like getting into it.
            Ok... I really don't know what to say. Cub Cadet bought the PTO from someone else. No, it doesn't list the bearings separate, but that doesn't mean that you can't change the bearing. It not really hard to "find ways" to get the bearing out. Grind off the stakes and press the bearing out. Easy peezy. As far as replacing it because it's old.... well, isn't the whole tractor the same age? Where do you stop? It's not really a justification that a part is "old". ALL the parts are "old". Doesn't mean they are bad.

On another note.... check the bearing. The brake will make a loud screech noise until it is turned on too..... tighten 3 nuts is all that you do to adjust that.

The fan someone had ground parts of it away in the past to make getting the belt on easier and it was starting to stress crack the plastic might of been fine but for 50 why chance the radiator.
            Probably true..... But I didn't see the old one.

For the cable honesty i lack imagination and it just seemed easier it use a factory part. I kept the old one since it's intact in case i can find someone who can reproduce them and needs one to copy.
            There are literally thousands of cables on the market, and places that make them. Finding a replacement isn't hard. Making one is also easy. You don't need to be imaginative, you just need to ask.

The fan bearing is my fault when i did them 2 years ago i got a little cocky and just tried to smack them back in verse using the press at work then i used to dismantle it, The thing never felt smooth honestly. This time i used the press and it spins smooth as butter.
            I've been turning wrenches for a bit over 20 years. I've beat a lot of bearings in. More than I've pressed in. You have to get stupid rough, or beat on the wrong part to damage a bearing. Unless they are cheap, they are pretty hard. Next time, use a socket on the bearing so you are hitting on the outside race, instead of the inner one. You can likely drive that bearing in all the way with a hammer if you're careful.

Interestingly... this is the third part on the front of the motor that you claim was "squeeling" or "screeching" or "noisy". You replaced the water pump not long ago, now the PTO and the fan shaft bearings all because they were "noisy". Are you really for sure that all 3 were noisy? Or was one noisy and you just replaced parts until it was quiet? (I'm not jumping you, read below.)

It just comes down to maintenance, If i stay on top of it it wont be that expensive but if i ignore it get expensive specially with a diesel.
            Well.... kind of. But if you replace parts that aren't bad, it's just as expensive, or even more so, than just doing maintenance. Yeah, a diesel can get expensive, but no more so than any other motor that is properly cared for. But have you done any real "diesel" maintenance items? How many hours on this machine? When was the last time the injectors were rebuilt? How about the pump? Have you pulled the valve cover and adjusted the valves? I'm just asking. Just replacing parts isn't maintenance. Looking over the machine, finding things that are genuinely wearing out and catching things before they are problems..... then deciding what can run longer and what needs fixed now. THAT is maintenance. Not just replacing parts because they are "old" or "noisy".

So, I guess what I'm trying to get you to see John, is I started this site to further the hobby, and to teach others. Like I mentioned, I've bent wrenches for a good bit of time, and I want to use my experience to help others who have less experience learn how to properly take care of machines, and to fix them. But you need to ask questions. I can well see that you are a capable individual, but I can also see that you lack some basic experience. Maybe you don't know when you need help or think you don't need help.... but I think you likely spent about $250 more on the 1572 than was necessary this time around. That's two and a half kids Christmas presents at my house, lol. All I'm trying to say is, don't be afraid to ask for direction or advice before replacing so many high dollar parts. We might be able to show you that either they are still fine, or they can easily be fixed. You did good work though! Really!

I'm going to try messing with the blower i wanted to get the plow on this and situated before messing with it.
            One thing at a time.....
            ~Jonathan
            Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Oh, I forgot to tell you, if you want to try and fix the old PTO, there is a "how to" in our tech section.

https://www.everythingcubcadet.com/f...bearing-repair

Just trying to help you John!
              ~Jonathan
              Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post

Ok... I really don't know what to say. Cub Cadet bought the PTO from someone else. No, it doesn't list the bearings separate, but that doesn't mean that you can't change the bearing. It not really hard to "find ways" to get the bearing out. Grind off the stakes and press the bearing out. Easy peezy. As far as replacing it because it's old.... well, isn't the whole tractor the same age? Where do you stop? It's not really a justification that a part is "old". ALL the parts are "old". Doesn't mean they are bad.

On another note.... check the bearing. The brake will make a loud screech noise until it is turned on too..... tighten 3 nuts is all that you do to adjust that.

Probably true..... But I didn't see the old one.

There are literally thousands of cables on the market, and places that make them. Finding a replacement isn't hard. Making one is also easy. You don't need to be imaginative, you just need to ask.

I've been turning wrenches for a bit over 20 years. I've beat a lot of bearings in. More than I've pressed in. You have to get stupid rough, or beat on the wrong part to damage a bearing. Unless they are cheap, they are pretty hard. Next time, use a socket on the bearing so you are hitting on the outside race, instead of the inner one. You can likely drive that bearing in all the way with a hammer if you're careful.

Interestingly... this is the third part on the front of the motor that you claim was "squeeling" or "screeching" or "noisy". You replaced the water pump not long ago, now the PTO and the fan shaft bearings all because they were "noisy". Are you really for sure that all 3 were noisy? Or was one noisy and you just replaced parts until it was quiet? (I'm not jumping you, read below.)

Well.... kind of. But if you replace parts that aren't bad, it's just as expensive, or even more so, than just doing maintenance. Yeah, a diesel can get expensive, but no more so than any other motor that is properly cared for. But have you done any real "diesel" maintenance items? How many hours on this machine? When was the last time the injectors were rebuilt? How about the pump? Have you pulled the valve cover and adjusted the valves? I'm just asking. Just replacing parts isn't maintenance. Looking over the machine, finding things that are genuinely wearing out and catching things before they are problems..... then deciding what can run longer and what needs fixed now. THAT is maintenance. Not just replacing parts because they are "old" or "noisy".

So, I guess what I'm trying to get you to see John, is I started this site to further the hobby, and to teach others. Like I mentioned, I've bent wrenches for a good bit of time, and I want to use my experience to help others who have less experience learn how to properly take care of machines, and to fix them. But you need to ask questions. I can well see that you are a capable individual, but I can also see that you lack some basic experience. Maybe you don't know when you need help or think you don't need help.... but I think you likely spent about $250 more on the 1572 than was necessary this time around. That's two and a half kids Christmas presents at my house, lol. All I'm trying to say is, don't be afraid to ask for direction or advice before replacing so many high dollar parts. We might be able to show you that either they are still fine, or they can easily be fixed. You did good work though! Really!

One thing at a time.....
                I really appreciate the help and you have a lot more experience in the diesel equipment field then i ever will. I just work for Toyota and honestly our cars are simple.

I could have town down the PTO sure but excuses are like asshole's everyone got one i guess and it's much easier to just replace it as a whole and move on just my preference. that's also why i kept it i can always do it later on when time allows.

I can get you a picture of the fan it's just always bothered me most likely would have survived another 20 years but it bothered me.

The fan bearing i used to small of a hammer it hit more of the inner race then the outer i believe but they were also 3$ china bearings and could of been a dud in there. I am a little OCD when it comes to rotational bearing noises and did replaced the squeaking water pump. and rebuild the whole drive line with a CV drive line.

Im sure it needs to have it's injectors cleaned and serviced and i'm sure the pump needs it as well. I have adjusted the valve's clearance in the last 30 hours or so. the tractor i believe has over 1500 hours on it meter was stuck at 1000 when i bought it and got knows when it broke, Im getting there with the little things. Speaking of injectors cleaned i need to have the ones sent out and cleaned and balanced in my TDI

I appreciate all help i get i don't know a lot and this is just my hobby that i enjoy. i don't take getting advise personal if i have an issues that stumps me i'll try anything.

Comment

• J-Mech
                  J-Mech commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds good!

Make sure you tell us what you found on that 551!!

Originally posted by olds45512 View Post
                Nice work so far! Hope I see you and the 1512 again at Pa plow day in the spring!

I'm hoping to make it i'd like to do both days this year i may bring the 1864 or both haven't decided.

Comment

I got a new fan belt idler pulley that's actually meant for a 3L belt and i put my power blade on just in case we get something other than rain.
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

HaHA! Lookin good!
                    ~Jonathan
                    Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Working...
                    X