Resurrection of the 1811

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resurrection of the 1811

In this episode of "Glutton for punishment", finds Zip starting another resurrection of someone else's junk.
    Figured I start a thread on it, and bring you all along on the journey. Seeing the 85 is still shoeless, I got started on the 1811 today.
    First thing was to clean the fuel tank, and install a new bung and fuel shut off valve. And then get rid of that gaud ugly front tow hook. Pulled the hood and grill off, and rear fenders.
    Fired it up to see ifin I could see where the leak in the rear is coming from. From my first inspection, for certain the front seal on the hydro pump . It's dripping down on the John Deere oil filter pretty bad. Also has a real bad miss, worst on acceleration. Will have to dig into that later.
    Went to take the front wheels and tires off, huh, won't budge. Ain't never had a wheel, let alone both of them not come off. Even tried the persuader, and that did nothing. Somethings wrong that ain't right with these front wheels.
    12-20-18 (3).JPG12-20-18 (1).JPG12-20-18 (2).JPG12-20-18 (10).JPG12-20-18 (9).JPG12-20-18 (5).JPG12-20-18 (6).JPG Oh, Jon here's a better picture of the tire lugs cut out...
    12-20-18 (7).JPG
    They can't all be turn key.
    Make the best of each and every day.
    Todd
    Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

With a little Zip love, the 1811 with be up and running in no time. From the looks of the cardboard she's a dripper. And from the amount of dirt collected on the hydro, that seal's been leaking for quite some time. Keep us posted!

Comment

Yeah, that pool of fluid was from maybe five minutes of run time. So, yup, it's a leaker.
      Todd

Comment

In this episode of "Glutton for punishment",

I'm not making fun at all... but man, every 1811 you get is just.... well.... rough. The deeper you dig, the worse it gets. Well, hopefully, this one will not be as bad as the last.

Wonder why someone cut the tread patch off the tires....
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post

I'm not making fun at all... but man, every 1811 you get is just.... well.... rough. The deeper you dig, the worse it gets. Well, hopefully, this one will not be as bad as the last.

Wonder why someone cut the tread patch off the tires....
          So, am I to just leave these alone?
          Oh, it's not as bad as the last one. At least the frame ain't broke. But for what I paid for it, I "think" you would have brought it home...
          Todd

Comment

Originally posted by zippy1 View Post

So, am I to just leave these alone?
            Oh, it's not as bad as the last one. At least the frame ain't broke. But for what I paid for it, I "think" you would have brought it home...
            Absolutely not! You should buy any and all of them! 1811'S are great tractors! I'm sure I would have brought it home. I love my 1811. If it had PS, it would be the best Cub Cadet GT made! Unfortunately I can't say the best GT ever made. I hate to admit it.... but the Deere 318/322/332 will forever hold that title. Just had more options than anyone else ever offered on a GT.
            ~Jonathan
            Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Absolutely not! You should buy any and all of them! 1811'S are great tractors! I'm sure I would have brought it home. I love my 1811. If it had PS, it would be the best Cub Cadet GT made! Unfortunately I can't say the best GT ever made. I hate to admit it.... but the Deere 318/322/332 will forever hold that title. Just had more options than anyone else ever offered on a GT.
              Don't think I got room for all. I know for certain, my pockets ain't that deep.
              I said a while back, I'm done buying tractors to flip. If I'm bringing one home, it's to keep. And these right hand go lever tractors work best for me.
              Need to send some of those I don't use down the road.
              Todd

Comment

Just wondering Todd, can you use the left hand hydraulics ok still? I know you have a 1650. How do you like the left hand hydraulics and right hand hydro compared to the all right hand 1650?
                ~Jonathan
                Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Today was a do-little on the 1811. As a buddy was bringing his walk behind snowblower over for me to get running. Yeah, ah, winter is here, and it might just snow enough, that he might need it.
                  Anyway, cut that gob of shit off, the PO welded on the rockshaft. Then built me a "Idler Ratchet" out of a old mule drive. Yeah, I know, prolly could have bought one, but where's the fun in that? Need to weld up an extra hole, but I think it was time well spent, seeing I wasn't going to get into anything major, not knowing what the snowblower was going to be...
                  BEFORE, AND AFTER
                  IMG_2599.JPG12-23-18 (1).JPG
                  Idler Ratchet, pieces...
                  12-23-18 (3).JPG12-23-18 (5).JPG12-23-18 (6).JPG12-23-18 (8).JPG
                  Look out now, got the skinnies on the back. Those that know my "routine", I put them on so I can get in closer while working on a tractor.
                  Todd

Comment

Just wondering Todd, can you use the left hand hydraulics ok still? I know you have a 1650. How do you like the left hand hydraulics and right hand hydro compared to the all right hand 1650?
                    Jon, yeah, the hydraulic lever isn't an issue, as it's not used much anyway, especially if just mowing. My BIGGEST trouble comes with the go lever on the left, and trying to steer with my right hand that has no grip. Even trying to hang on, without falling off.
                    So to answer your second question, I "guess" it's easier with both on the right, as the 1650. But the left and right is fine, AS LONG as the go lever is on the right.
                    Todd

Comment

Zippy, how do you plan to remove the stuck wheels? I have a 1810 that has the same issue.

Comment

Originally posted by CubDieselFan View Post
                        Zippy, how do you plan to remove the stuck wheels? I have a 1810 that has the same issue.
                        Remove the spindles from the axle, with the tires and wheels. Put a couple 2x4's on the bench, with the rim across them, and pound the spindles out. Cause there ain't no way they are coming out any other way.
                        I tried pounding them off, (tires/wheels) on the tractor, didn't move a bit. So, that'll be my next move...
                        Todd

Comment

Then the inner bearing will come off with the spindle and you can cut it off. BTDT. Easy peezy!
                          ~Jonathan
                          Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Then the inner bearing will come off with the spindle and you can cut it off. BTDT. Easy peezy!
                            Todd

Comment

Okay, some progress today.
                              Took the spindles and wheels off, and did just what I said/wrote last night. Put them on the bench, and pounded them out. Seems I was correct. These wheels aren't the correct ones for this tractor. Cause there's no way in hell these bolts are supposed to be rubbing on the wheel, when I was trying to remove them. I can't get in the shed to compare what's on the 82's with these.
                              Another reason I'm thinking these are the wrong wheels, is they rubbed on the deck when it was turned tight either way...
                              Had to get out the bearing puller to remove the one. The others stayed in the wheel. I see the PO dimpled the axle to hold the bearings on...
                              12-28-18 (3).JPG12-28-18 (4).JPG12-28-18 (5).JPG12-28-18 (6).JPG12-28-18 (7).JPG12-28-18 (8).JPG12-28-18 (10).JPG12-28-18 (12).JPG12-28-18 (14).JPG12-28-18 (17).JPG
                              Todd

Comment

Working...
                              X