Drive Belt Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive Belt Size

I have a QA-42A Snow Thrower that was originally on a 1650 CC. I have it mounted on on a 1512 Cub but there was no belt with it. CC belt ref. chart does not list the 1512 QA-42A match up. The clutch on the 1512 is for a 5/8" or "B" belt. The pulley on the drive for the thrower is a 1/2" wide pulley. Belt # 487-043-R1 is a belt that is recommended but that short of a belt I don't believe will go on the pulleys. I tried a 15/32 X 29-7/8" belt and it would not go over the drive shaft end let along come close to going on the pulley. Has anyone used the QA-42A with a 1512 and if so what belt size do you use please?

I have that info at home. I'll post it up when I get home tonight.

You will need a new pulley for the thrower, and a belt both.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Ok. So, finally getting to my book. Sorry it's so late.

You need a pulley, part number IH-78055-C1.
      Belt is a IH-78056-C1.

Both are available from CCC. Here: QA42A

I cannot tell you the dimensions of the belt, other than it is a 5/8" belt. CCC has it. IHCCW has it.

The pulley should look like the one below, if I'm not mistaken. I *think* I made that one for my QA42A thrower. But may have made it for a tiller.
      To make one, you need a 5" pulley for a 5/8" belt, and a weld in shaft collar for a 3/4" shaft. I'm going off memory.... but the pulley needs to be offset from the shaft more for the 82 style tractors than it did for the older ones. Motor sets back just a bit more I believe. I don't think I ever used this one, but I don't remember why.

20181105_195408.jpg20181105_195412.jpg
      ~Jonathan
      Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Thank you much for that information. I never thought about changing the pulley to a B belt. Local welding shop has those pulleys but have run into the collar not being centered in the pulley making a vibration. Will do some checking on those items for sure. I have the broken adjusting slide at a machine shop now for rebuild. Be a couple weeks before he gets to it.

Comment

Here's a link to the pulley I bought to convert my qa42a to 5/8 belt. If I remember correctly it's a 1/4" smaller in diameter which should speed up the thrower a bit, not sure if the belt Jon listed will work or if you will need a shorter one.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F271500156439
          Tim - It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
          Indiana, PA
          Check out my Youtube channel -

https://www.youtube.com/user/xOLDS45512x

Comment

Did you have any issues with the offset Tim?
            The pulley I posted a pic of may have not been for a QA thrower. It was in with my parts for my QA..... but my stuff kind of got mixed up when I moved out of the shop.
            ~Jonathan
            Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post
              Did you have any issues with the offset Tim?
              The pulley I posted a pic of may have not been for a QA thrower. It was in with my parts for my QA..... but my stuff kind of got mixed up when I moved out of the shop.
              To be honest, I never ran it or even had a belt on it. I was setting it up for the last house we were going to buy and when it fell through I stopped because I had no need for it at the old house.
              Tim - It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
              Indiana, PA
              Check out my Youtube channel -

https://www.youtube.com/user/xOLDS45512x

Comment

Hey Chieffan,
                did you find a belt and pulley? You get to try it out yet?
                ~Jonathan
                Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Just bumping this up. Still curious if you found what you needed? Let us know!
                  ~Jonathan
                  Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Sorry I haven't been on much. Nice weather and been busy getting things done before winter. Yes to both. Got a pulley at the local welding shop and my go to mechanic got me the Kevlar belt. Tried it out for the first time Sunday, Jan 13th. It will really get rid of the snow for sure. Like that 1512 more every time I use it. Need to put the 75lb weights on in place of the 35lb though. Chains helped a big bunch but backing was still a problem some times on grass...

Comment

Glad you made it back Chieffan!
                      ~Jonathan
                      Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Working...
                      X