1710 repower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1710 repower

My 1710 I have had for years that has needed a motor is finally starting to happen. Thanks to Jonathan for keeping the motor out of the elements. It will eventually become a 1711 but let's get it running 1st.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    ~Phil

You are only as old as you make yourself.

1710, snow blower QA-42A

Hot damn Phil, how come yours is all clean? Mine didn't look that good...
    So you got an engine from Jon? Hope he at least cleaned it up first, to go in that nice clean tractor.
    They can't all be turn key.
    Make the best of each and every day.
    Todd
    Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

No kidding, that thing does look pretty good. Nice grill, grill casting and even a CCC emblem. Are there hydraulic hoses in that pic or are my eyes deceiving me?
      Brian - Spring Grove, IL
      IH 782 w/50c; Dad's 1650 (needs restored)
      CCC 782 dual stick w/44c; 1050 w/38c; 1861 w/54GT
      Parts 782, 1811, 1710, 1200
      Numerous IH, Brinly, Agri-Fab attachments

Comment

• Cubbieblue
        Cubbieblue commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Brian,

Yes. I do have a hydrolic cylinder already for the 1711 conversion. It is just dangling there when I took the pic. I need a ported pump 1st.

I power washed it years ago after I pulled the old motor. I bought a donor tractor a while back that had a good motor. I'm just finally getting everything together for the swap.
      ~Phil

1710, snow blower QA-42A

Comment

Should have seen it when I brought it home. It was the 3rd CC I bought. (Back even before I was on OCC.) The original engine either lost the governor gear, or broke a rod, (I don't remember). It had been leaking for a long while, and I don't know if the original owners ever checked the oil. If they ever did, they either weren't adding it fast enough.... because I'm pretty sure lack of oil led to the failure. Either way, it was an oily pig! Nasty! But, it had been garage kept, one owner, and only had like 800 hours on it. It looked great. But, I ended up buying more tractors, and Phil wanted that one. I had enough projects, and at the time enough tractors, so he ended up with it. (Boy how THAT has changed, lol.)

Good luck bro! Better take a look at Zippy's 1811 thread so you know how to get a motor cleaned up and ready! Tear the tins off and get started!
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

I got the motor cleaned up and did some more polishing up on the mower and parts. Drained the oil (I ran out so I didn't refill yet.) Got the motor sitting on the frame but need a new drive shaft flange assembly before I start bolting up. I'm going to need a few other basic parts but hopefully nothing major to get this guy going soon.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          ~Phil

1710, snow blower QA-42A

Comment

I had a helper last night. This is my youngest son Reese... aka Butterbean.

https://youtu.be/Qbh0PCPrdmM
            ~Phil

1710, snow blower QA-42A

Comment

Good to have a helper. Especially if they're trying to learn.
              Did you remove the flywheel, and clean in behind it? It's a good place to accumulate gunk. 12-30-18 (1).JPG
              Todd

Comment

• Cubbieblue
                Cubbieblue commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm hoping its not that bad when I pull it off.....but if it is, it will clean up.

Looking good. and making progress... that's a good thing..
              Randy
              Frederick MD

Gotta kill it before ya can grill it.... TN

Comment

Progress is good, time with your son is priceless.

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Looks good!! Keep us posted!! The time spent with your son is priceless!! I started messing with Cubs and Jeeps with my dad back in the early 70's!.. some of my best childhood memories..

Keep moving.. you will get there soon!! We are waiting on more pictures!! I like the nickname too!! Tell Butterbean we are waiting to see what progress he made!!

Comment

Today I went and got the oil filter fixture off of the doner cub today, which I had forgotten. It was a 1541 with a Kohler magnum 15 in it. Which after some research awhile back we figured out that it is a magnum 18 with a smaller carb on it.

20190110_162745.jpg

That is all not a huge deal, but its neat info.

Here are a couple boring pics of the donor.....

20190110_131219.jpg

20190110_131211.jpg

Since I am waiting on parts I went ahead and pulled off the flywheel covers to check for mouse nests.....not horrible but she will get cleaned.

20190110_155838.jpg

I also have some research to do about wiring. Just by looking I'm not sure is my current harnesses are going to plug right in since the motor came out of a cyclops. If anybody k ows off the top of your head, help would be appreciated (Jon I tried calling you but I got ignored) .

I will have more later this evening. I am on night rotation and this is my 2 nights off so I will be piddling in the garage late tonight when everyone else in the house is in bed.
                      Attached Files
                      ~Phil

1710, snow blower QA-42A

Comment

Got a little progress done today. Pulled the flywheel and cleaned it all up. Was not too dirty and it cleaned up easy. Changed the oil. Found out I need a fuel stick/gauge on the tank, mine is cracked. Also put in new spark plugs.....getting closer.

20190115_132049.jpg20190115_132110.jpg20190115_132043.jpg20190115_132733.jpg
                        ~Phil

1710, snow blower QA-42A

Comment

Phil, just get a cap. Those new fuel gauge are a piece of shit. In a year, if not less, they refuse to float, so the gauge don't work. Better off using a wood stick with notches cut in it to measure fuel. My 2 cents.
                          Todd

Comment

Working...
                          X