Born again 1782

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Born again 1782

Some of you may remember my 1782 that was "too good to part out" from the other site. It was a 1782 diesel I took in trade from CubDieselFan when I sold him my 782DT. The tractor had been rolled over at some point destroying the nose and the radiator. The tractor sat outdoors for a number of years before Greg purchsed it as a parts tractor. Well, after getting Greg's 1572 delivered last week, I thought it best if I got back onto one of my projects. The 1782 has been patiently waiting for attention, so I dug in and finished the under hood stuff, welded up a muffler and took it out for a "road test" even though the fender pan is just sitting on the frame and there is no seat yet. It ran get and everything worked fine. After testing, I pulled it back into the shop to address servicing the rear axle and hydro. I had planned to do a cork gasket and replace the axle seals, but after getting into it I found the shaft seals on the hydro were seeping, so a total re-seal is in order.
    The fluid looks pretty funky and smelled terrible! Stay tuned! load2.jpegalmost2.jpegalmost1.jpegalmost3.jpeg

Whew! That fluid is nasty!!!
    ​​​​Nice to make a switch to your own stuff sometimes. If it's stuff you want to work on anyway, lol.

Get to work Doc!
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Another project in the shop? Good for you Stan.
      "Busy hands, healthy mind", or something like that. Keep on, keepin' on...
      They can't all be turn key.
      Make the best of each and every day.
      Todd
      Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Hey.... The machine shop I use has a water jet. I see you have a messed up NLA side panel. Maybe this would be a good time to see if he can cut out a gas replacement panel on the water jet......
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Comment

• Diesel Doc
          Diesel Doc commented
          Editing a comment
          Let me know what you need. The tractor should be around for a couple of weeks I would think. I don't have the missing piece of the panel shown in the photograph but we should be able to guess the rest of the shape of the opening.

• Rescue11
          Rescue11 commented
          Editing a comment
          Bet he can. I have seen somewhere someone was doing that with water jet

• J-Mech
          J-Mech commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok. I talked to my water jet guy on Friday. He can't do it. You need a specific head on the jet to do a curved surface, and he doesn't have on yet. Sorry Doc. I can't help you on this one, but those panels are on my list of things I want to recreate!!

Looks good Doc, when you coming over to finish my 1864?

Comment

• Diesel Doc
          Diesel Doc commented
          Editing a comment
          Bring it to NY, I'll work you into the schedule!

Other than mounting the 60" deck, the 1782 is done. Overall it's a decent tractor that was "too good to part out!" alldone1.jpegalldone2.jpeg

Comment

Looks great Doc!!!
          ~Jonathan
          Oblong, Illinois

Comment

So will this be forsale?

Comment

Yes it is going to be for sale very soon. I need to get the deck on it and test the pto operation.

Comment

Very nice Doc!! It deserved to be saved.. My 1782 is one of my favorite workhorses!!

Comment

Looks great. Don't tell my wife I'm looking at tractors.

Comment

Working...
                  X