Thoughts on a 1782

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on a 1782

Been wanting a super and found a 1782 I think I'd like to own. What are things to look out for? Im familiar with the cyclops era tractors but not the diesel. I know some of the kubota engines had some issues and are are costly to repair but I cant recall if this was a good one or one to avoid. I've had a handful of cummins dodges so Im not completely new to diesel engines but this would be my first diesel tractor.
    Jeff
    62 O, 1535, 1641, 1862, 1864, #4 cart

The engine lasts forever as long as it wasn't overheated. Good engine.
    ​​​​​​Check the driveline. The diesel tractors hammer the driveline to pieces.
    It will likely need a lot of electrical work. The CC diesel tractors and the cyclops in general had terrible electrical systems.
    Fuel system will likely need completely cleaned out and new fuel lines. The fuel systems on the cyclops were generally neglected.
    1782 is probably one of the best diesels. Big fuel tank, better driveline than the previous machines. Good tractor to own. But the Kubota engine and a diesel in general is more costly to own.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Thanks Jonathan, thats good info to take with me. Unless its a rough neglected pos its probably coming home with me. You are right about the electrical systems.. I am not impressed with the wiring on my other cyclops tractors but the 2 runners I have run great. I understand the diesel tax on parts, I just wanted to make sure this was a reliable engine and not the one that eats cam gears or whatever it was...I cant recall exactly which engine did that.
      Jeff

Comment

The Kawasaki engine was the one that ate cam gears. 2086.
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Ahhh yes thats the one. At least they both started with a K
          Jeff

Comment

Pics when you get it.

I'd love to have a 1782 (or a 1772) but they just don't come up for sale around here.
            Brian - Spring Grove, IL
            IH 782 w/50c; Dad's 1650 (needs restored)
            CCC 782 dual stick w/44c; 1050 w/38c; 1861 w/54GT
            Parts 782, 1811, 1710, 1200
            Numerous IH, Brinly, Agri-Fab attachments

Comment

I love my 1782.. It's my main grass cutter.. It needed some TLC when I got it but overall it was in nice shape.. Driveshaft needed to be rebuilt.. like Jon said the diesels hammer on the driveline.. Fortunately my wiring is in nice original shape and hasn't required any work.. I was very skeptical of the Cyclops to start with but it really is a good tractor. The Kubota purrs like a kitten and really sips fuel.. We also have a 2182.. same tractor with 21hp Kubota gas engine.. the 2182 is smoother but has less torque and burns twice the fuel of the diesel.. Both have 60" Habans and the gas tractor will bog out in heavy grass waay before the diesel will give up.. Problem I found when looking for a Diesel Cub was that most were beat to death and not cared for very well..

Comment

Still waiting on the seller to get unbusy enough to make time for me to come throw some money at him

I was skeptical of the cyclops as well but I bought my 1641 and fell in love with it. To me, this style is the last of the good ones (although I would try a 3000 series). Has an old heavy tractor feel with nice features to make it user friendly. I liked it enough to buy 4 more and not really be too interested in alything else except my O.

Ive seen some guys say they like to run hot and others say the cooling system is just fine. I'll be mowing 1.5 acres, should I expect it to overheat? I'm sure most of it depends on the condition of the cooling system and outside temp.
                Jeff

Comment

Jeff the biggest thing on the cooling system is keeping it clean. The reason people say they overheat is because they switch from an air cooled to a liquid cooled. Air cooled doesn't require the attention that liquid cooled does. Well.... we all know people don't give them the attention they need either, but a liquid cooled should be blown out daily if mowing a lot of area. There should be a removable screen in front of the radiator. Make sure it stays clean. Blow the radiator out with air often. The cyclops was worse than the older series because they moved the radiator to the rear, so it sucks grass up from underneath like the air cooled did. Not the best design in my opinion, for either style, but it is what it is. Keep it clean, and it will keep cool.
                  ~Jonathan
                  Oblong, Illinois

Comment

That sounds easy enough. I'm already in the practice of blowing the top of the deck off after mowing, so I can easily blow the screen and radiator out at the same time. That makes me feel much more comfortable with it.
                    Jeff

Comment

20200830_154807.jpg

Well guys, a year later, I finally got it. Nothing like taking 18 months to buy a tractor

I had to replace the hydro lever friction washer so I havent used it much yet but I love it. Its loud and smelly and completely awesome.

Also, the friction washer is nla. I was able to find a rubber washer at the hardware store that I made work for 85cents. Been good so far.
                      Jeff

Comment

Working...
                      X