PTO on 582 Gear Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PTO on 582 Gear Drive

Have a question for the group, On my 582 the front Pto spins all the time. Does that mean its bad - or a switch issue? I got this machine from a family member with no deck or attatchments. I would like to get a deck and blower for it. And also if I need to replace it will one from other 82 series work? Thanks! Jon.

Hey Jon, welcome to the forum.
    Without anything hooked to your PTO, it will spin when the engine is running.
    By the way, we here at ECC like pictures, especially the red ones.
    They can't all be turn key.
    Make the best of each and every day.
    Todd
    Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Thanks, I didn’t think it’d be that simple. Here’s the tractor- I just got done repainting the wheels and new tires.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• SS5150
        SS5150 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice paint work! Very sharp

Hello Jon!

On that 582, the PTO has a brake on it and shouldn't run unless it is on. I think Todd above is thinking of an older series without the brake, which would spin when the engine is running with no belt attached to the PTO.

There are two possibilities as to why it is spinning:
      1.) The brake is out of adjustment.
      2.) The bearings in the PTO are locked up and bad.

To determine which, shut the tractor off. Take the front grille screen off and see if you can spin just the pulley on the PTO. If you can and it doesn't try to turn the shaft in the center (crankshaft) then the brake is out of adjustment. If it won't spin, and/or tries to turn the crank, the bearings are locked up on the PTO.

Go check it out, and we can go from there.

Welcome to ECC!
      ~Jonathan
      Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

• zippy1
        zippy1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I was, my bad. Sorry for the incorrect information I gave.
        Jon, Jon's got you covered.

I checked it- it does spin free.

Comment

Ok.
        There are 3 bolts on a flange with springs behind them. Triangle shape. (Some electric clutches have 4 bolts and a square flange, but yours should have 3.) On the sides of the triangle brake flange there should be a notch to put a feeler gauge. Put a .025" gauge in one of the holes and adjust the two bolts until it's snug on the gauge. Repeat 3 times for each side. Feeler gauge should slide between the clutch and the hub, not between the brake and the clutch.

I need to make a post on how to do this in the tech section. I believe the procedure is in the service manual, which you can download on this site. Might be in the operators, but I don't think so.
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

• Jeff in Pa
          Jeff in Pa commented
          Editing a comment
          .025 feeler gauge ( sorry but .25 is 1/4" )
          Jeff, machinist

• J-Mech
          J-Mech commented
          Editing a comment
          Absolutely Jeff. Typo. My bad! Thanks for the correction, I totally missed it.
      Working...
      X