XT1-LT42 wont turn over?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XT1-LT42 wont turn over?

I need some guidance please! I have a XT1-LT42 Model#: 13AVA1CS056 [2017]. I replaced the blades and adjusted the deck level and height. I tried turning it over and all it did was engaged or disengaged something in the back of the mower, [I assume its the NO/NC switch?] But no starting? I changed the battery with a new one. I turned it over and it started. I began cutting the yard and it died on me. Tried turning it over and again nothing but that sound in the back of the mower .I disengaged the trans and pushed it into the garage. It sat for an hour and I tried turning it over and it started. Ran for 30 seconds then died. Tried to start again and nothing..
    Its like since I adjusted the height and level [ approx. 3/4" both ways] this nightmare began.
    If anybody has gone thru this nightmare please explain to me how you fixed it.
    I live in Florida so the grass needs to be mowed at least every 5 days due to the daily rain .I have resulted into paying a company to tend to my yard.

Hello and welcome to ECC!!

First off I want to thank you for giving all the info on your machine. The newer machines are a real PITA to look things up for. Having the model number and year are very helpful.

I need to clear something up. You may or may not be describing the condition correctly, so we need to be sure. People often confuse what the term "won't turn over" means. "Won't turn over" refers to starter engagement and the engine "turning over" or cranking. It does not refer to actually running, but the action of the starter. When you say it "won't turn over" you mean that the starter does not engage, is that correct? You get no action, except a noise from the rear when trying to start. Is that correct?

If that description is correct, and based on the information you have given, I am thinking that you may actually have two issues. Or a common issue causing two problems. It is not likely that the engine dying is related to the no-start, but it may be. Obviously, I cannot hear what you are hearing so I can only assume that the starter solenoid is clicking but not engaging the starter. The solenoid is located in the rear of the machine below the battery. It is near the deck lift mechanism. It is possible that the solenoid has a bad or loose connection on it, or it is also possible it is not making a good ground. (It may even be bad.) This would cause an intermittent no start condition. As with all electrical, it will require some testing on your part if I am to walk you through a diagnosis. You will need a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter) or a 12V test light. Both are extremely beneficial, so having both would be a lot of help. You will have to remove panels or something to get to the solenoid near as I can tell. Likely the fender pan, but off hand I don't know. I've been a mechanic for over 20 years, and have worked on a lot of different machines. I don't have all the newer Cub Cadet tractors memorized. I know the older machines like the back of my hand. Anyway, you need to inspect the solenoid for loose connections and make sure it is properly grounded. Same goes for the negative battery cable. Where that cable is attached to the frame may not be making good contact. Depending on the connection problem, it may or may not also be the cause of the dying. Since you seem to indicate both conditions started at the same time, I'm going to assume they are related.

Let me know when you are ready and able to continue and we can proceed. You need to gain access to the solenoid and have the DVOM and or test light in hand and ready. Lets see if we can get this tractor going.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Thank you so much Jonathon for the quick reply! I do have all the meters needed.{I'm a retired Electrician} When I removed the battery, I started tracing down the harness, and low and behold, theres a 3/8" self tapping screw that was the frame ground and it was loose by about 8 turns of a socket. In that area I found a solenoid on the left side and a 2 Pole Switch on the right side that looks like it is connected with the gas pedal and a 3 pole switch on the back wall that looks like it goes to the blades engagement handle.
      It is starting now but, I'm not convinced yet!
      Let me ask you a question? Because of the seat switch allowing you to energize the mower, do you have to short the seat out in order to troubleshoot the switches or to start the engine to take readings without sitting on the mower?

Comment

If you found the negative battery cable loose at the frame, I would say that you found the issue, at least with the no start. Could possibly cause the engine to also die, depending how it is wired.

I think the switch that you say is connected to the gas pedal, is actually connected to the brake pedal. There is no gas pedal on a lawn tractor.

As far as your last question about the seat switch. As long as the brake pedal is locked (parking brake set) you should be able to start the engine and troubleshoot starting issues without needing to be in the seat. You would only need to be present in the seat once the parking brake is released and you want to drive the tractor, or if you are attempting to engage the PTO. For the diagnostics you are doing, setting the parking brake should be all you need to do.
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Thank you Jonathon for all of the info you have given me. Ill stay in touch with an update. Thanks again!

Comment

Hello Jonathon, its Brad M. from Florida. I am changing the oil on it for the first time, my son has done it for me since I bought it. Ive got a question,....should I fill the oil filter full with oil before installing the new one on to the mower? Thanks

Comment

Hey Brad. That oil filter is side mounted. If you fill it, it will all just run out before you get it installed. I wouldn't worry about it. Just screw the new one on. Smear clean oil on the rubber filter seal before installation though.

~Jonathan
              Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Thank you again!

Comment

Working...
                X