Help! Broken Brake Spring Not Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Broken Brake Spring Not Available

I have a 90’s vintage model 1300. The spring that attaches to the rear of the brake rod broke. The spring is Cub Cadet part 1767884, which does not appear to be available anywhere. Does anyone know of a suitable substitute or know the specs for the spring? Thanks.

Well, the number also comes up for a Troy-Bilt tractor, and incidentally shows up available.... but I doubt it is. Probably some old stock out there somewhere.

I can't help you with a length, but I can tell you that it is a pretty stiff spring, and will not be under tension until the brake pedal is depressed. Simply hold the rod up to the position it would be in with the spring attached, and measure the distance between the attachment points of the spring. Go to your local hardware or tractor supply store and find a stiff spring that fits the length. Make sure it is small enough diameter to fit in the holes. While it is a critical part, getting an "exact" replacement isn't necessary. "Close" will work just fine.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that I only have part of the spring and don't know where the other end connects or what the missing end of the spring looks like (the end I have has an extended hook). I was hoping to find specs so I could try to match it up.

Comment

GW-1767884 superceded 1767884, and was used across MTD, Cub, Troybilt and White machines. None are showing available, but if you dig into the diagrams you can see what the spring form is - that at least gets you in the ball park for a substitute spring. From the diagram I think it does not a have a long flat section on either end of the spring coil, so I think J-Mech's advice is sound for an Ace Hardware substitute.

Annotation.png

Comment

Working...
        X